Eyes that Reflect No Light

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry if I offended you."

I knew what he was trying to do, but that still didn't make it any easier. All I wanted him to do right now was leave.

"Although having one of your classmates expelled is unpleasant, the Event Selection Exam is near and everyone is doing their best to prepare, while you're here so hung up on Yamauchi's expulsion that even if you cooperate..."

His words contained no malice or pity, he was just stating the facts.

"What I want to know is what happened in your life that gave you these values and ideals."

"What's the point? Do you really think that I'd tell you?"

Even if I told him the whole truth, nothing would change. There would be nothing he could do to convince me otherwise.

"You desperately want others to know about you right now, isn't that right? That's why you'll tell me."

His words were still monotone, no change in tone or words, but I knew he was right.

He forced me to look at him with these words, and that's when I saw it...

"..I see..."

I could feel a shiver as fear was emplanted into my heart. What I saw was his eyes... eyes completely void of any emotion, there was no hint of love, hate, or even light.

There was only a pitch black darkness...

"I see why Karuizawa-san told you the truth... she saw them, or rather, you showed them to her. You showed her those eyes and the darkness that lies in them..."

I could still feel myself shivering unconsciously.

The truth was I did want someone to save me, but how could they if I didn't even know how I would save myself.

"You should already be familiar with my story right? With my childhood friend that committed suicide?"

"Sugimura right?"

My eyes widened after hearing this.

"So you even remember his name?"

Memories of the events back in middle school filled my mind. I really wanted to save him, but I didn't because I was afraid that I'd be next. As a result-

"He jumped off a building..."

"..."

"He managed to stay alive by some miracle, but ever since then he's been in a coma."

"But that wasn't entirely your fault, the bullies are the ones who should take the blame."

"Yeah, but being a bystander is just as bad."

I told him my honest feelings. I knew that if I'd save him back then, he might not be in this situation, in a coma.

"... Actually there's more to that story."

I looked at the ground, still afraid of the eyes pierced through me. I felt like I was being forced to tell the whole truth.

"When he jumped off, I thought that the bullying would end. I thought that by seeing what they caused, they would stop, but I was wrong..."

I explained the situation that was replayed in my head.

"That's when I realized how dark human nature actually was. Even after the suicide, they only switched targets. They began to bully another innocent bystander who was on the bottom of the caste system, what's more, people who weren't initially involved began to join in."