unusual conversations with unusual suspects - 14

Start from the beginning

When Asu reappeared from the bathroom, he looked unamused.

"Everything alright? You're not sick, are you? I can get you some-"

"I'm fine, I just got a stupid prank call. What's on the agenda for tonight?" Asu smiled, slinking his way into the kitchen and behind you, resting his hands on your hips as he spun you around to face him.

"Probably work." You groan, feeling uncomfortable under his gaze. Asu noticed how you shied away from him and let you go, grabbing his own food.

"I guess I'll be out here watching tv. Call if you need something." Asu headed toward the couch with his food and you headed off down to the spare bedroom.

Sitting down at the desk you'd moved into the room, you went over the crime scene report. You'd seen it before. You'd read it more time than you could count, you could recite it word for word backward if you needed to.

Nothing made any sense. Why on Earth would your uncle even need money from your father? What the hell had he gotten into? He wasn't using drugs, your father would've picked that up and never let him step foot around you.

So just what kind of business was your uncle into? That's what you needed to find out.

Opening your laptop,  you typed your uncle's name into the search bar and pressed the enter key. A few articles came up about your father, but besides some social media profiles, there weren't any news articles.

Closing the browser, you opened a database program you'd bought second-hand from an ex-cop. It had just about all you could need, it had ID's, records, phone tapping software, and much more. It couldn't be legal, but you weren't really worried.

Typing in your uncle's name, you finally got some results. There were no current or recent files, but something caught your eye.

A file dating back to the year of your father's death, six weeks before the murder, your uncle had been arrested for blackmail. He was only held for four days before bail had been posted and he was let go on probation for two weeks.

Looking into the file, he was holding sensitive information against someone named Jamie Holls. The name sounded familiar, but you couldn't place a face to it. But this as something.

Printing the file, you decided to search up Jamie Holls. When the face popped up, a woman was staring back at you. You'd seen her before. She attended the funeral for your father.

Just who was she? From what you could remember, she didn't say anything to you, nor any of the other attendants. She stayed by herself and she didn't stay long, just long enough to see the main program, but she was gone before the reception when everyone talked before leaving entirely.

Searching for her records, she was still alive, and her current address was still active. It was barely 2 o'clock in the afternoon, and she lived about forty minutes away. You could stop by.

Getting dressed rather quickly, you rushed out of your room. Asu turned to look at you, confused as to why you were all dressed up.

"I'm going out, I've got someone I need to talk to, hold down the fort while I'm gone." You rushed out, holding everything in your bag.

"Wait let me come with you, it could be-"

"Just stay here, I'll let you know if I need you." You said as you walked out the door, already calling a cab to come get you.

When the cab arrived, you gave the address and hopped in, ready for the long ride.

✞━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━✞