'I can't go back after coming till here,' she said as she stood up, 'I will walk up slowly. Did you get the sindoor?'

'Here it is.'

'Arnav, your palm!' she exclaimed. 'You have sindoor all over it.'

Now was probably not a good time to tell her it was all over her head too. 'The first box he gave me opened up. That's alright. I will get it cleaned later. Now, hold on to your plate real tight.'

'Why?' She queried.

He swept her in his arms and took the steps one at a time. When they reached pooja hall, the panditji beckoned to them to come to him. He took the plate from them and began to chant and before Khushi could say anything he adored their foreheads with vermillion and gave them prasad.

'No panditji!' Mamiji ran up to them. 'Why are you giving them the prasad?'

'They are husband and wife aren't they?' he retorted back in surprise.' She has sindoor on her forehead and he carried her up the steps.'

'What the ---!' Arnav muttered under his breath as Khushi looked at him sharply, her hands clutching her pallu nervously. 'I carried her because she hurt her toe. What's that got to do with anything?'

When he saw Khushi sigh of relief he realized she was afraid he was going to spill the beans on the sindoor fiasco.

'There is a legend of this temple that when a woman is carried up the steps by a man, he is destined to be her husband if he is not already one.' Mamiji said in horror.

'That is just an old wives tale Mamiji,' Anjali tried to console the agitated woman.

'How did you get sindoor on your fore head Khushi?' Mamiji demanded shrilly.

'Manorama,' Naniji stepped forward afraid that her daughter-in-law was about to create a big scene, 'I must have happened when she fell. Now, let us proceed with the pooja for Akash. It's getting late. Anjali bitiya please get another thaal made.'

'What has happened is just not right!' Manorama hissed to her husband as they sat in front of the havan.

As the pooja commenced, Khushi hobbled to the area of the temple where some drinking water was kept. She took some water and rubbed it on her forehead.

'You have made it worse by adding water,' Arnav came up to her. 'The colour has become fast now.'

When Khushi glared at him he said, 'You aren't really worried about what happened back there, are you? Didn't you hear what Di said? It is just bull.'

'I know,' Khushi said, 'if it was true we would be married by now. You carried up me these very steps five years ago.'

'F@#$! Arnav swore. 'Is this the same temple?' He looked around to see that it was not as remote as it used to be.

Arnav paced in his office. He didn't know why he was extremely restless today. Khushi. Every day he rushed home so that he could drink coffee she made especially for him before she left for the day. He was addicted to the coffee and --- her.

He got home, but he couldn't find her anywhere. His restlessness rose. When the phone rang he picked it up and barked into it. The phone call was from Payal asking him if Khushi was still there as she hadn't reached home. He had answered in the negative assuring her he would call her back if he knew something. Then his mother had asked if Lavanya had returned from the Shiv-Gowri mandir as she had sent her there for a special pooja. So both the girls were missing. He called Lavanya .

'Where are you right now?' he asked her without preamble.

'Um...at the Body Craft spa.'