Chapter 9 | Not Today

Start from the beginning

"Okay, but. I can be there, right?"

"Ugh, actually, it will be only my parents and me."

A pout came back to your face in an instant, hands that were cupping his cheek now fell to his lap as you heard the sentence, "Hey, now. I promise I wouldn't be late for the wedding, it will only take a day perhaps, and I will fly to Japan once again."

With your head hanging low, he was now the one who slipped his hand on your cheek, thumb brushing your warm skin to reassure you that everything would turn out fine. That everything would turn out alright for the both of you.

"Come on, (Y/n), look at me." He lifted your chin up a little, "Sit in my lap, please?" Letting out a sigh, you stood up and positioned yourself comfortably, arms wrapping around his neck as you waited for any kind of explanation from him.

You were well aware that you acted selfishly right now, but you just couldn't help it. You wanted to be there for him, for everything that he needed to go through in his life. And for him to leave you agitating in your shared bedroom later on when he was in the hospital? Your eyes looked at him with demand.

"What do you want me to say here?" He sighed as his hand engulfed yours, "I promise I will be back on time, is that not enough?"

"No, I want to be there." You muttered softly, eyes fell to where his thumb grazed the back of your hand in your lap, "I want to be there when you go inside the operation room, and I want to stand up and kiss you when you are out. Safe and sound."

"That's what you really want, right?" He asked, this time it was a question that distracted you from your spiraling mind, "You want to see me stand again, with my own legs, without burdening you."

"Rintarou." That statement was enough to make you look up at him, "I don't really care if you can't walk anymore, I don't care if I have to take care of you for the rest of my life." You felt attacked, raising your voice an octave, "But I do care and very much will be happy if I see you smile at the court!"

His eyes widened, one hand subconsciously clenched into a fist, "And that's not because I want you to stand up, you know that?" You push his chest with your index finger, right at his heart, "It's all just because you are happy, and I would do anything, Rintarou—to make you happy."

Of course, you once told him about how free he looked when he played volleyball. As if there was no burden that was dropped on his shoulders. You said that when he was out there on the court, he danced in tune with the ball, like a lifetime partner.

And to say he almost left that dream behind just to stay in his hometown, you're sure you would never forgive yourself if that happened.

"Then please wait for me," He swallowed a huge lump, grasping your hand and resting it on his cheek, "It will make me happy that the time you see me walking again is on the happiest day of our life."

You sighed, when he already made up his mind, there was nothing that you could do anymore at this point.

"Okay, okay." Caressing his cheek with your thumb, you rested your forehead on his, gazing deep into his green orbs that had a yellow tint visible up close, "I will wait for you."

A soft smile appeared on his face before he leaned himself closer to you, wanting to close the gap that was barely there, "I will always wait for you." He chuckled, appreciating the affirmation that he didn't know he needed.

He knew that no matter what happened, no matter how long it took for him to stand up once again, you would always wait. Patiently, on the sideline, until the day when the two of you could run hand in hand to a better future.