Hero

Another day at Grey Sloan. It was days like these she wondered why she ever came back to work. It had been over a year since Derek had died and she had only been back to work a few months. But some days she wondered if it was worth it.

Today she was helping out in the ER since April was out on maternity leave. The ER was always chaotic and most of the time you couldnt hear yourself think.

Meredith was standing at the desk, looking at the paper in front of her as the doors burst open followed by a couple of paramedics pushing a gurney.

Eleven year old female, flipped her bike. Bruising on her abdomen, throwing up blood in the field. We lost her vitals on the way here.

Okay, get her to trauma room one. Grey, shes yours! Bailey yelled. Meredith took off towards the room following the paramedics.

The room was a mess when she walked in.

Okay, lets get a head CT. Amelia said. Meredith nodded her head in agreement.

Lets get an adominal CT while were at it, she might have some internal bleeding.  Meredith added. She accompanied them to the scan room. It was awkward, besides the tech it was just Meredith and Amelia and everyone at Grey Sloan knew that the two did not get along.

No head injury. Amelia said as they watched the scans come up. My job here is done.

Her stomach is full of blood. Okay. we need to get to the OR right away.  Meredith said.

Good luck, try to not kill this patient. Amelia smirked, making her way out of the room. Meredith sighed, her last patient didnt make it off the table. But that was out of everyones control. The patient was too far gone by the time they got to the OR.

Meredith and Alex were scrubbing in. Alex could tell something was up with Meredith, she wasnt good at making people believe she was alright.

Whats wrong? Alex asked.

Nothing, Im fine. Meredith answered quickly.

Bullshit, I can read you like a book, Mer. Alex said, wanting to know what was wrong with her.

Amelia just always has to have the last word. She told me not to kill this kid like I do it for fun or something. Mer said, pissed off.

Thats just Amelia being Amelia, she cant let anything go. Alex said.

Shes hated me ever since Ive been back and Im about to snap. Also, Meredith paused. I recognize our patient. I dont know where from though.

Alex hummed in response.

After surgery, Meredith couldnt shake the feeling that she knew that girl but she just couldnt remember where from. Nightfall had ascended them, Meredith was sitting at the desk yawning. She had agreed to stay the night to keep watch over the girl in case something happened.

I see she made it. Amelia smirked, coming around the desk. Meredith sighed, not wanting to fight. Thats a miracle. Amelia sneered.

Seriously, Amelia? Seriously? Ever since I have been back, all you have done is try and pick a fight with me. What the hell have I done, that is so freaking horrible?

Well, you have a record of killing people, Meredith. First my brother and how many patients since you have been back? Amelia asked snidely.

Only one and for the record, I did not kill Derek! Meredith growled. There was nothing that could have been done Amelia, you and I both know that!

You could have called me, Meredith!

How long are you going to keep this up? Every day I have to listen to the same damn speech from you. I get it, youre mad, youre upset. But not once have you taken my feelings into consideration at all! Have you asked how Im feeling even once? No. I lost my husband. My kids lost their father and youre over here like poor you all the damn time! I get it, I messed up but when are you going to stop reminding me every single day! Meredith yelled. By now they were attracting an audience.