Chapter 6 | Back to Him

Start from the beginning

This was the longest confession that he ever said to you. Usually, he only said one or two words, sometimes even worse with him just keeping his mouth shut. So you listened, every single affricate that he uttered, "But from all of that I hate that you wouldn't be there to wait for me at the school gate."

Oh? What was that? Why did you feel like he just confessed his feelings towards you?

Ever since you became his closest friend, it was just natural for you to wait for him at the school gate. Even if he was late and the security told you to go inside, you always waited for him. You didn't know why, it started because you feel like it was a mundane thing to do for a friend. Then you became addicted with how his eyes lit up immediately at the sight of you.

"So, you like my company?" You asked timidly, and he just answered with a lazy shrug.

"I like you as a whole, you are—" Yes? "—you are my best friend." Ah, of course, "I don't know what would happen to me if I didn't run to catch your name."

You giggled, trying to coat a pang in your heart with some joy instead. I don't need that, Reminiscing that time, he didn't look tired at all even with sweat all over his skin. I don't need certainty, He was just there all of a sudden, the beautiful creature that didn't look any less with how messy his hair was.

I don't need to know that he loves me, I will still love him anyway.

"Well, look where we are now." You clapped your hand, rubbing the palms together, "A man, and a woman. The best friend of the lifetime." You averted your gaze to the side as you said that, missing the pained look that glazed on his face for a second.

It was just quiet now as the two of you stood there like awkward teenagers in love. Well, both of you were indeed teenagers that were stupidly in love with each other. Yet too cowardly to even say anything.

"You said that it will be you and me." He said softly, remembering the words that you utter that day in the parking lot, "You and me, racing to be a successful person." The words rang to the entire gymnasium as he clung to the words, "That's what you promised to me, right?"

A flicker of hope appeared inside the sharp green orbs, gazing at you as he searched for another affirmation — even though it was something that you always gave to him every single day. But he would never get enough of you, he needed those words to keep moving forward.

"Yes, that's what I promised you." You stepped closer, "So you better be there, every day. I will message you every single day and you have to answer me, okay? You have to!" It was an annoying demand, but you said it all from the bottom of your heart.

If it's anyone else who spat the words he probably just shrug it off, turning his back and leaving the place.

But then again it was you, the only person that captured his heart, the anchor of his life.

He eyed you with an amused look on his face, scrutinizing your figure in a subtle way. You had one hand balled into a fist, while your orbs never once left his face. The energy that you radiated always made him feel better, like no matter what happened, as long as you breathe the air on this earth — he would survive.

"I will, I will." He rested his palm on your hair, caressing it gently. "I want that. I want to see tomorrow together." Another promise, but now he was the one who made it, "I want to grow old with you."

Your eyes widened from his promise, too dumbstruck as you couldn't believe that he was the one who gave you the affirmation. One that made you teared up, "As long as you are there, though."