1|why

Imani Blessing Brown

I wake up, immediately pushing the blanket off of my legs.

It's my birthday

I smile as i walk down to the bathroom to take a nice long shower and to go to school.

what am i gonna do today? maybe go to the beach after school... or maybe i can go to the mall and take pictures or something..so many options.

"Imani come down here for a minute please" I hear my mother's voice from downstairs.

"coming!" I yell back as i run down the hall, sliding all the way downstairs on the railing.

"hey mom, mister ross, Kayanah" I smile greeting everybody sitting in the living room.

" me and your step father" she pauses, grabbing his hand tightly "Have thought about what to do about your situation and we think it would be best for you to go to...a psychiatric home. You can still go to school, but you just wont be here"

"Mom I'm not crazy, how much times do i have to tell y'all that. Yea, I was playing with fire and burned down our old house but it's called an accident. That happened when I was frickin' ten!" I yell, starting to have flashbacks of the old house we used to stay in.

I would always feel things crawling and grabbing me when i was in my room trying to sleep.

voices would echo in my head and tell me all sorts of things. I used to be so scared. but they didn't believe me. I was a ten year old girl who had a million near death experiences throughout my whole life; so who would?

"Imani are you listening!?" my mother yells, snapping me back into reality "It's what's best for you"

two men walk in, wearing white jumpsuits with no emotion whatsoever printed on their face.

"no...mom don't do this to me again" my eyes begin to water as they try to grab me but I pull away.

"You are a threat to this entire family"

"You are dangerous"

"We're doing this to protect you"

"We love you"

"NO!!"

I jump up from my sleep, drenched in sweat and tears, unable to hold a steady breath.

"Just another flashback" i mumble, getting up from my bed to get ready for school.

"Good morning Imani, how are you" Nurse Hailee smiles at me as i walk towards the front desk to sign out for the morning.

"I'll see you at 3:30?" she smiles, handing me my bookbag

"yea. thanks"

she's my favorite nurse out of all these middle ages women in here. The others are mean, stubborn and don't give a damn about the patients, just their money. But nurse Hailee is pure and nice and sweet and she sneaks in food for me sometimes.

I hate this psychiatric home

burn it down, Imani

"shut up"

heyyyy

first chapter whatcha think👀

vote💖 and comment💀