As they stepped out into the courtyard, they found the path that lead to the school from the parking lot, blocked for repairs.

'There is another way through here.' Khushi said taking a turn into another path that seemed to lead into a garden.

With the lights fading fast, the garden looked like a paradise of earthly delights, the air rife with fragrance of plumaria and jasmine. Still, nothing could compare to the woman walking beside him. Even in fatigue, her hair loose from all the rigorous dancing, she was absolutely ravishing.

'You didn't have to take the trouble of coming here,' she said softly, 'I could have taken a rickshaw.'

'From this remote location?' He looked at her as though she was out of her mind. 'If you ever get stranded like this you will call me, do you understand?'

When she looked at him like he was out of his mind he decided it was time to change the subject. 'Who was the man you were talking to back there?'

'Oh he was the father of one of best students, Piyali. She has the potential to become a great dancer.' She paused.

'But?'

'Her father doesn't want to send her for further classes. He says he cannot afford it as he has another child – a son who needs his attention more.'

'What the ---?'

'Exactly. But I can't say that to him. I told him I was willing to teach her for free, at least until her exam which she will need to clear to go to the next level. After that she is sure to find a sponsor.'

'Now you have reached a stage where you can return the favour that someone did for you a long time ago.' He said quietly.

'No. I am not doing this as a favour. She has the potential to win. I want to help her win.'

'So it's all about winning.' He said sardonically.

'The girl deserves a break Arnav!' Khushi's eyes flashed in defiance.

Once, they had come together in love because the feeling had overwhelmed them into a state of helplessness. It seemed like an eternity. Now their every word rubbed against raw wounds.

'Mom was killed in a car accident, did you know?' he said in a voice so clipped it cut her profoundly.

'I am sorry, Arnav,' she said her voice clearly exhausted. 'Payal told me. It must have been terrible for you.'

'Lavanya was there to share my grief.'

'Mrs Malhotra just told me about Lavanya 's mom at the party. I didn't know.'

Arnav continued as if he hadn't heard her. 'Both our mother's had wanted us to marry.'

Khushi's heart was breaking into a million pieces. She couldn't imagine Arnav and Lavanya together as man and wife, the way it had been planned from the start. Yet, she and Arnav had been fated to meet, a curse maybe on both of them for daring to love so extravagantly.

'At least she loved me even when I acted as if she never existed. It wasn't her fault.'

'You think it is mine.'

'Considering you told me you loved me over and over again that night, I suppose I did believe you utterly. Stupid, wasn't it when stupidity isn't my style. I don't know what your plan was, or were under some kind of dark spell?'

'You hate me now.' Khushi lifted her head to the glittering sky.

'I simply want you to feel the unhappiness you caused. I was so angry when I got your awful letter.'