(2) First Day at 'Work'

Start from the beginning

"Mr. James!" He turned and gave me a questioning look, waiting for me to carry on. "I can't do this! I mean, these people are suicidal and I suck at giving advice! I won't be able to do this!"

He smiled, "And how sure are you about that?" He asked. I gaped at him than quickly closed my mouth, not wanting to look like an idiot. Here I am, so confidently telling him I can't do it, and he's asking me if I'm sure?! Wow.

"A hundred percent sure. You can ask any of my friends, I absolutely suck at this advice-giving business! I'm the last person you can come to for advice!" He merely shook his head at me and smiled, "Well my friend, that's going to change today onwards!

I sighed, annoyed, and followed him to my cabin, where there was a Chinese lady waiting for me, welcoming me with a warm smile.

"Hello there, Sophia!" She said. I wanted to tell her my name was Sophie and not Sophia, but I decided to let it go, I didn't want to look like a brat. She patted the seat next to her and continued, "Come, sit. You will watch me talk a bit and you will soon get the hang of this, okay? It is not very difficult, advice-giving is in every one. It comes from your heart and from your soul!" She said, her voice increasing an octave when saying the words heart and soul.

Okay, keeping in a laugh was very difficult at the moment. First of all, I couldn't help finding her Chinese- American accent hilarious! And second, 'It comes within your heart and soul!' Was she freakin' serious? What century was she from? And besides, this wasn't The Karate Kid movie! I just smiled and nodded at her, acting like the good girl I never was.

After I was sat beside her, James had left us alone and proceeded with his work and Isabelle, the Chinese woman was teaching me the basics.

    1)      Let them talk and don't interrupt.

    2)      You don't have to think hard to give an advice. Say what you think is right.

     3)      Don't be too direct in the speaking approach.

     4)      Don't be too friendly with them.

The rest of them? I don't remember because I tuned her out as she beacme too boring.

After watching her take a few phone calls, I knew I totally wasn't up for it, but I had no choice now.

We were waiting for another phone-call and this time, I would be talking and she'd be watching. A shrill ring made us both jump and Isabelle quickly picked up the phone. I could hear a crying person over the phone.

"TalkToUs and know we're always here for you. You will now be connected to your speaker," With that, she handed me the phone.

I took the phone in my hand and gently placed it by my ear, "Hello?" I asked. I was responded with heavy sobs and all I could do was just mutter 'calm down' and 'It's okay' in what I thought was a soothing voice. She finally stopped crying and said, "He cheated on me! I saw him with a fucking brunette!"

Okay, this was easy. "Were they having any.. action?" I asked. I felt weird asking if they were making out in front of Isabelle, who was probably my mother's age.

"No but they were very close! Too close!" She screamed. Whoa, this chick was going to make me deaf!

"Well, talk to him about it. You can't just come to a conclusion! Have the benefit of doubt! You see? This is how couples break up, they just don't trust each other." I told her.

She hiccupped and mumbled something but the only words I could catch were 'Yeah', 'I should', 'Thank you' and before I knew it she had hung up on me. Way to go, hang up without thanking properly. I should get paid for this!

I looked to my side and saw Isabelle smiling at me. "You did it! Now was that so hard?" She asked. I grinned and shook my head. Then she said that I was prepared and she left so she could go back to her own cabin.

I was playing 'Temple run' on my phone when the phone rang again, surprising me. I took a deep breath and answered the call and repeated exactly how Isabelle had started, "TalkToUs and know we're always here for you." I waited for sobs but they never came. Instead..

"Hey there, sexy!" A deep masculine voice greeted. I frowned and said, "You don't sound depressed!" I heard laughter from the other end.

"How can I be depressed when I have a hot girl talking to me?" Despite the fact that he called me hot, I scowled at the phone and decided to mess with him, just a little.

"Oh really now? What makes you think a fat, thirty-nine year old woman is hot? Unless you like older women.." I trailed off. I heard him gasp.

"But.. you sound like  a teenager!" He said, shocked. I would have messed with him a little more if I hadn't found the situation so funny and started laughing out loud. I heard him growl a little.

"Look here Ms. Hyena, stop laughing, it's not funny! I really need help!" He said a little angrily. I giggled and replied, "Oh that you do!"

"Hey! You're supposed to help me here, not make fun of me!" He complained. Aw, he sounded so cute.

I laughed and bit my lip, "Okay troubled sir, tell me how I can help."

Turns out, he wanted help getting a girl. Like, seriously?!

"Look here! This hot-line is for depressed, suicidal teens. Not horny guys who can't get laid." I said annoyed.

"Please?" He pleaded, ignoring my sarcasm, "I can't ask any of my friends, I'll be doomed! And there's no else I can turn to here! Come on, you'd rather help and talk to me than talk to depressed people. And I'm guessing you'd rather sit home alone on a Friday night then sit here, right?" My deep sigh was enough to show that he was right.

I asked him about the girl and came to know after a few minutes of conversation that she was his best friend and that she was funny, witty, sarcastic and loved causing trouble.

Hmm, I had to admit, this guy had good choice. And so I told him..

"Wow, I have to say you've got good choice. If you'd have told me about a cheerleader, I swear I'd have hung up on you already. I hate them, they're whiny and just plain stupid.

He chuckled, "That's exactly how she describes them."

I laughed with him, "So tell me, is she a blondie?" I asked.

He denied, "Nah. She's a brunette and she has this deep, green eyes." Whoa, was this girl my twin or what?! I too had brown hair and deep green eyes. Also, we shared similar characteristics..

I asked for her name and my heart nearly skipped a beat when he said it.

"Her name's Sophie Anderson." He said in his deep, husky voice.

 __________________________________________________________

Hope y'all liked it!

The rules, the name of the place and everything else is made by me, and I'm not really an expert at these stuff. If you see anything wrong, do tell me nicely :)