Chapter Four: Camellia

Start from the beginning

After we were all assigned our groups, I waited for our dismissal, but Sophie cleared her throat. We all turned our heads and found her standing on the raised platform of the hall with her hands on her hips.

“You must all be aware of why only one task has been assigned to you today,” she said sternly. Her eyes were locked onto mine. “Today, we will be holding the engagement dinner for Alexander and Bethany.” It was clearly an event that everyone was informed about which was evident in their neutral expressions, but my new arrival lack of interest in the tabloids had meant I was very unacquainted with it.   

“Well will need all hands to be available,” Sophie continued, “so after completing your first job we will all be gathering at the dining hall. We are to receive the decorations by midday so be prompt.” She slid her pencil behind her ear and clapped her hands, finally dismissing us.  

Led by Victoria, we made our way towards the front of the house to the main garden. I had seen earlier before I had entered the house, but was unable to enjoy it fully. Now that I had seen its nobility in a sober state, I was in awe. 

“As to be expected from the Martins,” I said.

“I, for one, am excited,” Tanya said as she rolled up the sleeves of her over-sized dress. “I do have quite the green thumb, don't you know?”

“No, I didn't,” I replied dully. Tanya looked at me and shone a bright smile. I looked at her and cocked my head. Her face displayed no trace of yesterday's ordeal. She acted in a manner so well disguised that it was impossible to tell that she had been there with me yesterday. By the looks of things, she was well rested. I couldn't imagine how she was able to.

“What's with the glazed stare?” Hannah asked after noticing my blank expression. I jolted back to reality and turned to Hannah.

“Isn't this a bit much for a garden?” 

There was an entire acre of land filled with elaborate looking flowers, ranging from oriental poppies to foxgloves, all littered around the field in a calculated manner. Behind this stood a cozy white study, with tuffs of hydrangeas protruding from the gaps of the picket fence that enclosed it. A wooden patio extended from the entrance, giving it a cottage appearance. I raised my head and gaped at the naturally manipulated arch of vines that hugged the path leading up to it.

“Much?” Hannah scoffed. “If you think this is much, you should see the back garden.”

“The greenhouse is phenomenal,” Tanya said, her eyes lighting up. She turned to the large transparent house filled with green shrubs and herbs situated across from us.

“What's phenomenal is that fountain,” I said, gesturing to the large angelic sculpture that acted as a focal point of the garden. I walked towards it and leaned into the water. “What kind of fish are these?”

“Koi,” answered Victoria. “Richard and his sons are fond of exotic animals.”  

“Well,” started Tanya. “We ought to get started.”

“I agree,” Hannah said. “Have you ever gardened before, Cathy?”

“At home,” I replied sheepishly. “Not anything major—I just helped Ma with the weeding and planting.”

“That's all the experience you need.”  

Tanya, who did have a genuine affinity for gardening, offered to help me. We kneeled before a large patch of assorted flowers, speckled with weeds in between them.

“These,” Tanya said, “are-”

“Carnation flowers,” I replied. Tanya's fingers traced delicately along the fuchsia border of the petals, giving it a gentle whiff.