𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚝𝚠𝚘

Start from the beginning

"Really? Throw a rock at it?"

"That's actually a really good idea...let the axe murder know we're here."

"Okay, well does anyone else have a better idea?"

"What about the breaker? Shouldn't there be one around the porch?" Affinity suggested

"No, no, you're not going up there alone," John B intervened.

"Y'know, it's sweet when you get protective." Affinity messed up his hair as she stood up. "But I'm going anyway."

JJ looked at her like she was crazy. "Crain chops people into pieces, Fin."

"We don't even know that that's true and she's like what? 85? She's probably barely kicking anymore."

"Here I'll go with you," Kiara added.

"Sounds good, let's go."

"We'll wait for your signal," Pope whispered.

"Hey! Just- be safe...please," John B urged.

"We will," Affinity assured.

Affinity and Kiara carefully stepped over the dead sticks and tall plants that coated the ground, ducking under the leafy branches that swarmed overhead. Affinity clicked on her flashlight and shined it at the rickety white porch. She slowly stepped onto the first step as her eyes scanned for the breaker. Her glance centered on the small metal box that was mounted on the siding of the house.

"Here," Affinity whispered to Kiara.

Affinity finished walking up the stairs and shined her light on the box so Kiara could open it, but all they found was a collection of wires stuffed inside. Her brows furrowed together.

"Where are the breakers?" Affinity asked Kiara.

Kiara tilted Affinity's hand upward so the light shifted to a wire that stretched up the side of the house into the inside. That's where the breaker was.

"No, no, no, no, no, no."

"Shit," Affinity groaned. "I'd really rather not go inside."

"Do we really have much of a choice?"

Kiara quietly approached the front door and gradually twisted the knob. The door popped open and Kiara stepped inside, Affinity only inches behind her. Kiara took a left to start down a hallway, her eyes still following the wire upon the ceiling. The floorboards creaked with every step, which was enough to make Affinity sick. All she could think about was Mrs. Crain waking up.

They both jumped at the sound of a cat hissing at them and then scurrying off. Kiara quickly regained focus and rounded one last corner that finally led to the breakers. Kiara grinned in relief, as did Affinity. Affinity helped her open the breaker door and then Kiara flipped the switches off quietly.

"Okay, let's just please get out of here," Affinity whispered, almost too quiet to hear.

All of a sudden, a whirring sound erupted through the room as the clock chimed the hour. The two girls practically slammed themselves against the wall. Affinity squeezed her eyes shut and held her breath as her hand frantically searched for Kiara's. Kiara grabbed Affinity's hand and held it tight to grant the slightest reassurance, which meant everything at this point. They then heard a loud clattering from below that was at the fault of the boys. If they had heard it, there was a chance Mrs. Crain had too. But their uncertainties were soon answered when the heard the shuffling of Mrs. Crain on the floor above and the thumping of her walking stick. Affinity exchanged a look of terror with Kiara.