𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚝𝚠𝚘

Start from the beginning

"What were you doing?" John B questioned with a closed-lipped smile.

"Oh, every night I'm gone, I pick a recipe for dad to make for dinner because he has a hard time making decisions," she laughed as she walked out the door.

"Huh, I like that."

Kiara, Pope, and JJ were already loaded up in the van when John B and Affinity got inside. Affinity took a seat next to Kiara, who was grinning excitedly. John B started up the van.

"To going full kook."

JJ pounded on the side of this van. "Let's fucking do this ladies and gents."

John B pulled out of Affinity's driveway and got onto the route that headed to the Crain house. Along the ride there, the sun had finally disappeared from the sky, leaving the atmosphere to be pitchblack except for the glowing stars that speckled the sky. The ride was mostly quiet, it was apparent that everyone was nervous. The treasure hunt alone was packed with anxiety, but now that it was located under the house of a foretold axe murder, all the more worse. But the fateful moment came...John B pulled off to the side of the road and put the van in park.

"Alright, do we have everything?" John B asked. "Rope?"

"Check."

"Grappling hook?"

"We don't have a grappling hook. We aren't Batman."

"Pulley?"

"Check."

"Dark clothes?"

"Check."

"And flashlights?"

"Check."

"Good, we're ready," John B finalized.

JJ was already out of the van. "Let's go get rich, guys."

John B walked around to the passengers' seats and slid open the door but he stopped everyone before they could get out. "Wait, wait...I just uh- want to say thank you, guys. Seriously, it means a lot that you're here tonight."

Everyone smiled at him.

"Always," Kiara responded.

"Of course, man," Pope grinned as he and John B did the Pogue handshake.

"Alright, are we done with this circle jerk? Can we go do this?"

"Yep, let's go get that wheat in the water."

"Weed? I'm up for weed."

"Wheat. I said wheat."

Kiara was the first to the stone wall that stood in between them and the Crain house. She climbed over it with ease. JJ was next and Affinity was right behind him, then Pope and John B. While trying to remain completely silent, the group shuffled through the tall bushes and plants all the way to the front of the house. The house almost felt like it was looming over them, taunting them with its horrible secrets, but not even the appearance of the house could compare to the feeling they each experienced when they watched the outdoor lights suddenly flip on.

All five of them consecutively muttered curses under their breath as they dove out the way of the beam of light. Affinity scrambled to shut off her flashlight, as did the others. John B shushed them and they all fell quiet enough for Affinity to hear her heart pounding against the wall of her chest.

"Okay, so she has motion sensor lights," Pope huffed.

"We could uh- move very slowly," JJ remarked.

"Are you an idiot?"

"Yeah, that's not how that works."

"We should throw a rock at it," John B advised.