Blueberry Pancakes

The year was 1993. I woke up early on that bright Monday morning, excited for what the day would bring. The sun filtered through my sheer curtains with a soft glow. I yawned and threw off my silky covers, walking over to my vanity. I smiled and looked into the mirror. My wavy brownish-blonde hair was loosely braided to keep it from getting tangled in the night. My honey brown eyes were bright with excitement and the sun's reflection. My lightly tanned skin was warm, along with the spray of freckles across my nose. I looked well rested, felt well rested, and couldn't wait for the day ahead.
I excitedly put on my Hogwarts uniform, and gathered the rest of my school supplies, books, cauldron, and of course, my wand. I carefully unbraided my hair, touching up the waves before putting on my trusty silver watch. Then I grabbed my school trunk and headed downstairs.

My parents were up bright and early, as usual, and there was no sign of my younger sister Carla anywhere, as usual. My mum was making my favorite breakfast, blueberry pancakes, and my dad was reading The Daily Prophet at our square mahogany table. As he saw me walk down the stairs, he smiled brightly.
"Tilly, darling, you look magnificent," he said. "I remember my fourth year at Hogwarts, I bet you are as excited as I was to get back."
I smiled back at him, and once I reached the bottom of the stairs, rushed over to hug him, careful not to crush his glasses. Mum walked over from the oven with a stack of pancakes, and placed them on the table along with some extra plates. She wiped her hands on her mint green apron before turning to give me a good look. I could see tears forming at the corners of her green eyes, and I pulled her into a hug.
"Don't cry Mum, I'm not even gone yet!" I laughed, and she started laughing too.
"I know, I know. I just can't believe you are headed back to Hogwarts already! And next year, Carla will be too. All my babies are leaving me!" She said with a loud sigh.
As I started stacking pancakes on my plate, I said, "Speaking of, where is Carla? I wanted to have breakfast all together one last time before I leave."
"She's probably still asleep. That girl stays up much too late doing who knows what."
"I'll go wake her." Dad said, laying his paper down on the table before getting up and going upstairs.
As I chewed on my food, Mum started asking me questions about my hopes for my fourth year at Hogwarts.
"Are you still enjoying Ravenclaw, dear? I know your father loved it there."

I nodded. "Yes Mum. It feels like my second home."

Mum gave me a sappy smile "I'm so glad. And I'm overjoyed that you have such good friends there as well. And that Roger boy, hopefully more than a friend someday..."

My cheeks went pink. "Mum!"

She laughed, giddily and pat me on the shoulder. "I'm just jesting. When you find the right one, you'll know."

I rolled my eyes, trying to play it off. "Well, maybe it'll be someone outside of my own house. You never know."

"Maybe." Mum said, not paying much attention to the topic anymore.

As if it was perfect timing, Dad appeared at the bottom of the stairs, followed by a groggy ten year old.
"Good morning Carla," I said with a full mouth of pancakes.
Carla gave me a half wave and plopped down in the chair next to me, crossing her arms on the table and laying her head in the middle of them. I smirked. She was always like this in the mornings. We were complete opposites. I was an early bird, she was a night owl. I was organized, she was a slob. I was studious, she didn't give a care about school or good grades. You could say, I was the golden child, and she was the black sheep.
This would be the last time the four of us would be together for a while, so I soaked it all in. The warmth of our kitchen, the taste of my favorite food melting in my mouth, and the laughter and smiles that filled the room. I finished breakfast while chatting with Mum and Dad, as Carla chimed in every once and a while to give her opinion.
But soon, it was time to leave. It was a double edged sword. On one side I was excited to leave, to get back to my life at Hogwarts, and to be reunited with my friends. But I would also miss my family's chats, my daily routine I was so used to, and the comfort that came with it.
I pried Carla off of the table long enough to give her a hug and say goodbye, and gave my mother a ginormous hug and assurance that I would write every day, before placing my trunk in the car. My tabby cat, Lemon, jumped into the backseat moments before we left. I waved goodbye to Mum and Carla as Dad and I drove toward London, towards Platform 9 3/4, towards Hogwarts, and, unknown to me, towards someone who would change my life.

Please remember to star the chapter if you enjoyed! It supports my story and motivates me to write!