二十三

Chapter Twenty-Three 「Chestnut」

Chestnut

꧁꧂

"Is today the day you're finally going to stop staring at me?"

It's been about a month since (Y/N) had been staying at the Butterfly Estate, and she was surprisingly almost fully recovered.

She got to spend a lot more time with Tanjiro, Zenitsu, and Inosuke before they had to leave, as well as Kanao and Shinobu. Some of her new friends, like Iguro, Mitsuri, Tomioka, and Uzui, stopped by once in awhile to see her. Of course, she checked up on Rengoku's state daily, but he was still out. She even stopped by Ubuyashiki's mansion just to visit his son, Kiriya, again once in awhile to give him more candies and head pats. Inwardly, though, she wouldn't lie to herself; she did miss her demon friends. Douma was her last point of contact, and that was a month ago.

"What?" the mohawk haired Demon Slayer questioned her confusedly.

"You've been staring blankly at me whenever you see me for the past month," (Y/N) told him.

The skin on the male Demon Slayer's face instantly heated up and flared at being caught red-handed. He was so flustered to the point where the girl thought he would never speak up.

With heavy stutters and voice cracks, he blurted, "Sorry, you're really pretty!" His mouth shut itself quickly after that and he bowed.

"So you can say more than one word," (Y/N) mused, to which he stumbled more at. She ignored his compliment and asked, "What's your name?"

"Shinazugawa Genya!" he introduced, voice cracking. "First name, please!"

She raised her eyebrow at him.

"Oh, you're related to the Wind Hashira?" He nodded in confirmation of her question, and she hummed in thought. "You're a lot less hostile than him," she remarked at the flustered boy.

"I guess you could say that," he chuckled awkwardly.

The girl immediately sensed despair, desperation, and self-loathing in his aura at the mentioning of his brother. She took a few moments to process and analyze this information, and then she decided on a hasty conclusion.

Nostalgia.

"I'm sure he loves you."

That was all she said before making her way back to her room, leaving Genya to stare shockingly at her back.

꧁꧂

"We have a mission, Wife-Number-Four!"

Uzui had taken a liking to calling (Y/N) by that title. She didn't know why, but she assumed it was for his own amusement. He tended to call her this especially in front of Shinobu, who seemed to be a lot more annoyed with his jabs than usual.