The Hope

The birds still chirped a tune as the morning sun set over Humanity's fallen life. Cars rushing to morning jobs were no longer echoing in the distance. School buses were no longer stopping for the neighborhood children. The little pleasures of early morning, the signs of life, no longer existed.

In one day, it was wiped clean off of the earth. Chatter turned into ear piercing screams, humans turned into walking chunks of meat that were blindly guided by hunger for the flesh of the living. It was like someone pulled this out of a movie. Not the army, nor the CDC could handle this sudden outbreak that took hold of the once so lively world.   

“Shit, Shit!” 

Click. 

“You motherfucker!” 

“Farlan! Don't worry about it! We have to get out of here!” 

“H-He killed her, Isabel! He killed my wife!!”

Gunfire. 

“Farlan! Stop! You'll attract more!” 

There were three. Three humans escaping a hoard of flesh-eaters. One must've died. There used to be four. 

“Farlan!!” A raven-haired male was the one to speak this time, snatching the gun from the other's grasp and giving him a cold glare. A glare to get a move on or else.

He payed attention to the shorter man, taking to his feet after the red-head down an alley which held no real point. It was a dead-end. 

But they didn't seem to know this at all and kept running as fast as their boots could carry them. 

Again, it was the raven male that halted to give instructions to his counterparts. He was most definitely some sort of leader. He had all of the qualities. 

“Shit..Isabel, get behind me.” She did as she was told, moving behind him and gripping the back of his white button up with fear aglow in her green hues. 

What was he even planning? Did he think he could escape that with just a pistol as a weapon? He looked smarter than that. The gears in his head were clearly turning as he tried to find a way to live. 

It must've clicked in his mind that killing was the only way. But....He was...hesitant? As he held up the gun and aimed, his digits were rattling...His adam's apple bobbing beneath his skin as he gulped.

He seemed brave.

But not brave enough to kill someone who was innocent. 

He wasn't ruthless. 

Shot. 

One body collapsed to the ground, others tripping over its fallen figure and desperate to tear apart the humans who threatened them with a mere pistol. 

Shot, Shot. 

They didn't hit its head, two bullets were wasted within the shoulders of a flesh-eater. Two bullets that could have saved their lives.

Shot, click. 

One more bullet and then a grim click of the gun. It was over. It had to be over. They had no where to escape, their pistol was out of ammo with two bullets gone...This group of thugs were done for. 

“Son of a bitch..” The blonde knew their future was bleak and he looked over at his two comrades. The shorter male wore a stoic expression all though he knew their time was up, he was still desperate to save them. It was obvious by the way his eyes rapidly met everything within the alleyway and by the way his chest heaved with desperation to get anyone out alive.

It was then that firing erupted throughout the alley, causing all of them to duck and cover their ears. One by one, the fleshies hit the concrete and became one with it. Old graffiti was hidden by the brains of those who once lived and loved and breathed. 

And at the base of it all?

The raven angled his head to spot a female clad in a white dress with an army gas mask plastered over her visage, sealing her identity from them. Cast over her shoulder was a bag the same green color as her mask.

Wrapped in her porcelain digits was a machine gun with smoke emitting from its mouth. The gun that has rescued them from the hell of being devoured alive. 

The beams of the sun beat down on her small frame as well and she appeared to glow in its light, leaving the three stunned. 

After a moment of silence, she clicked her gun and sealed it in its holder on her back yet she didn't utter any words.

“Who the hell are you?” The male with blonde locks spoke up as a cold sweat dripped from his brow but he didn't receive an answer, just a gesture to follow. 

The steel-eyed man stepped in front and shot a harsh glare her way but it didn't seem to phase her. She merely turned on her heel and began to tread off to the left. 

“We have to make a choice.” He voiced to the two who seemed to acknowledge their leader's intentions before he even spoke them. 

The female was the first to follow after the woman clad in white and soon, the others did too.  

Whom ever this person was had a heart. They could have just watched from a distance as blood spilled but they didn't. They stepped in. 

In the red-head's eyes, they almost resembled something. Something you can't find nowadays. What was that word again? Ah, yes!

Hope.