Where There Was Fire, Ashes Remain

Beginne am Anfang

"I may be staring at the only one I've met right now."

She kept her stare at him and scoffed. "I can't believe after getting your freedom you'd want something serious all of the sudden."

"You should try it some time. The freedom part I mean..."

"I've never seen a relationship as a jail to begin with." She took a deep breath before trying to change the subject. "So, what's good here?" she said while taking a glance at the menu. She couldn't deny that his words made her feel a little uneasy but she was determined not to show him any sign that would indicate so.

He stared at her and smiled before looking at the menu as well. "I've heard their French toast on brioche bread are the best." He said. Since he met her, he knew this was one of her favorite breakfast dishes back then. He hoped she still loved them like she used to.

"Sounds good. I think I may be having that." She put the menu down and tried to control her nerves. When she looked up, she saw him going through the menu. She took the opportunity to observe him while he was browsing it hoping he wouldn't notice. He still moved his brow whenever he read something he didn't like on the menu. It had always amazed her how he could be so decisive about certain things but the simplest ones he always had trouble deciding. It had been so long ago and yet she felt as if nothing had changed. But something had changed that dreadful night. The burning in her heart was a constant reminder of it. "Did you by any chance tell them to be here at nine?"

"Yeah." He carelessly said still looking at the menu.

She stared at him not believing him for one minute. It almost made her smile to see that he still couldn't look at her whenever he lied. "Oh, before I forget." She took out of her purse an envelope. "I need to know which pictures you like best."

He looked at her curiously, "Aren't you the expert on this?"

"Yes, but I want to know your opinion on them."

He put the menu down and reached to take the envelope with a smirk on his face, "What? Did you like them all?"

She rolled her eyes at him, "Just pick five."

He smiled at her while looking at some of the pictures. "So, how did you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Get into Li Corporation? If I remember correctly, to be in this company you need at least a Bachelor's Degree and you actually left in the middle of high school." He said as he chose the five pictures he liked the most and gave them back to her.

She smiled, "Your mother took care of everything. I only had to study and send my exams."

The mention of his mother's involvement caught his attention, "And you trusted her?"

"I'm here aren't I?" She confidently said.

He stared at her, "My mother doesn't usually do things out of charity..."

"Well, well, well... If it isn't runaway Sakura."

She looked to her right at the body behind the intruding voice and smiled. "Meiling, long time no see."

They had all arrived together. She watched as Meiling sat down to her right with Kyu on her side, and Eriol and Tomoyo sat on her left. "That was some drastic getaway by the way..."

"Meiling..."

Sakura noticed Kyu's warning voice before answering, "I'm not going to apologize for leaving because sooner or later I would've left anyways. But I will apologize for not staying in contact with any of you. I've missed you all."