I lean in for a kiss. They reach up and peck my lips softly. Their lips are so soft. It's only short, but it gets both of us smiling widely. I feel like how I felt when I saw them after they landed back from Chicago.

-flashback to then-

They're coming back today. My best friend in all the world. This week has been hard to get through without them. Especially with Gerard and his jerk of a boyfriend at home constantly. It hasn't been all that bad, though. I managed to see Frank lots, which has been really great for the both of us. He's staying with his Dad for the time being, he was kicked out of Catholic school. He introduced me into the Jersey punk scene, which was incredible, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't hate the hangovers the next morning.

I keep the sign I made for Pete close. Gerard offered to drive me and stay with me whilst I was waiting for them, but I declined. If anything happened between us, Gerard would never let me live it down. I'm playing with the lights I put around the outside of the sign. They're hot pink and flashing. I get the feeling people are staring at me.

An elderly woman stands next to me. "Aren't you the sweetest boyfriend, coming to get your girlfriend from the airport." She says, nodding at my sign.

"Yeah, she's something special." I reply through gritted teeth. I wish I'd bought my headphones so I could block out the world. Their plane couldn't come soon enough.

I talk to the woman for a bit longer, just to seem polite. She seems nice enough. Her granddaughter - also from Chicago - is travelling to spend the weekend in New York to see her boyfriend. Ten minutes later and Pete's flight is announced over the airport intercom. Five minutes until I see my best friend again. I pick up my sign, and wait for the doors to open.

I hope they'll like the sign. It's very extra, but then again, so are they. It's white with hot pink lights around the outside. In the centre of the sign, I bribed Gerard to write nerd. Because they're a nerd, and a loser, but an exceptionally pretty nerd at that. I'm so far gone. I thought that this was just me still really wanting to be their friend, but it's gone past that now. You have to lose something to realise how much you actually love it.

It feels like the doors separating us are opening in slow motion. They used to carry luggage, they should be one of the first ones out. I see them, and my face breaks out into a massive grin. They're beaming, and they run towards me. In the heat of the moment, I dropped the sign that Gerard and I worked on all last night. Pete tackles me into a massive hug.

"Hey Mikey," They say, their infectious smile not leaving their face. "Nice sign. I love the lights."

"I missed you so much. Next time you're planning on going back home, I'm coming with you." I say, lightly punching the upper bit of their arm as we walk out of the airport together. I managed to find a taxi for us back to my place.

We spend the rest of the day hanging out at my place. They're telling me all about their family, and they're so excited about it. I have the urge to grab their dumb face and kiss it.

It's like I've lost control of myself. My hand reaches over to the side of their face, landing on their cheek. They've let their hair grow out a bit, and it looks amazing on them. They look at me, clearly confused. But somehow, it's working. They're mirroring what I'm doing, and we lean in for a kiss. It's all I've ever dreamed of. They taste amazing. Like Colgate toothpaste and Apple Tango. I pull away, and I can't make eye contact with them. They take my chin in their hands and we look at each other for what feels like an eternity.

"What was that for, Mikey?" They ask me. "Not that I'm complaining or anything, I've wanted to do that for years."

"I think I want to be a bit more than friends, Pete." I sa, embarrassed. They look at me, their face splitting in an ear to ear grin. They're nodding frantically, and they tackle me again.