Part 2 | Chapter 7

Start from the beginning

"At least let me come with you, " Henry bravely offered. "I could visit my parents, then keep my eyes on you."

"And risk my parents finding me driving around with a boy? No, you'll be a target too." I laughed nervously and he scowls.

"I'd rather that than see you crying or...worse."

"We'd rather see you alive Evie, " Danica added with concern.

"I know but I'll be fine. I promise I'm going to be fine. Secrets won't be leaked. It's just one night anyway, " I reassured them and they exchanged knowing stares.

"You can barely lie about missing homework to the teacher. That isn't a valid excuse!" Danica argued.

"Guys if you really want to help then can you at least just trust me in this one? I know my parents more than anyone, I'm sure I'm gonna find a way out."

"Evie we're your friends and we just want the best. We don't want to see you hurt again. Remember New Year's?" Danica reminded me and my eyes went wide and so did hers.

That wasn't supposed to be said to anyone.

As suspected, Cade and Henry looked at us disdainfully making me glare at Danica who looked just as guilty. She knew that information was confidential and she just lets it slip.

"Evie, " Cade stood, "what did she mean?"
His tone almost scares me when I remember that he had never been this serious before. Not even about Jocelyn. The concern in his eyes was almost overshadowed by the way suspicion in his eyes.

Henry just watched in the corner, crossing his arms in anticipation, and somehow, I knew he was just holding back.

"Hey, you two, get off my case for now. I'll explain after this weekend." I said, "don't make this worse for me."

Cade sighs, worriedly pushing his hair back before raising his hands in defeat.

I know they care and that means so much to me but this time I gotta make my own calls. This is not their problems to take, they've already done so much to me and I won't ever be able to repay them this debt if they don't stop. Their beautiful souls don't deserve to suffer from mine. I'd rather them be assured that I would be my best.

"Just please be safe and if anything comes up, just call." Henry finally pushed off from the wall and walked to me, holding my hand in his.

"I promise, I'll text all of you and I'll call if things go wrong which it won't," I assured once and for all and they nodded.

"Ok then, well we gotta meet Jocelyn back at the frat house, " Danica got up from her seat.

"Seriously?" Cade said.

"Yeah, seriously. Now come on. You can come if you want, " she turns to me with a smile and I just laughed, reminding myself if the people who will be there.

Matteo will be there.

"No, no way. I've gotta revise and do some other things. You guys go. Bring Henry too—"

"Wait, what?" He protests and I cringed.

"I just want to be alone for now that's all. Plus you get to meet new people there, it'll be good." I told him but the truth is, after what happened his weekend I didn't want to be awkward around him, and knowing me, I probably will be.

With one last disappointed look, Henry nodded and followed Cade and Danica out leaving me to myself again in the same four walls I've been stuck in for quite the time.

• • •

Philosophy class comes in again on Wednesday and obviously, that's one more thing to worry about. After what happened at the cinema with Matteo and I, my thoughts of him had become blurred and my fear had begun infesting in me once again; despite not seeing him for quite a while.