The Return of Festivities

Start from the beginning

"Do you know that meeting before Muh dikhayi is considered bad luck for the couple?"

He asked, raising his brows. Arzoo smiled.

"It's bad luck to see a bride's face before Muh Dikhayi, Khan saab. But see, there is a veil between us. So you don't have to worry."

Saying Arzoo pulled her veil more, emphasizing her point, making him shake his head at his crazy bride.

"Devasena?"

Amarendra asked as he was on his knees correcting her saree pleats when she moved away.

"First stand straight."

Amarendra came on his feet and frowned. Devasena held his shoulders, made him sit on her dressing settee and smiled.

"Amarendra, we are not newly married for you to do this even today. We are parents of kids who are ready to get married themselves."

Smiling Amarendra pulled her on his lap and put his arm around her waist holding her close to him. He laughed as she growled at him.

"Deva, newly married or not doesn't matter. I like doing things for my wife. I like dolling her up. Coming to our kids, we are setting a good example for them you know? About how to treat the woman in their life."

Devasena swatted his hands and scowled.

"You don't have any shame!"

"Should I have?"

Devasena looked at him irritated. Amarendra chuckled.

"Just because I am touching my 5th decade of my age, it doesn't mean I cease to become your husband. My duties, responsibilities, and my feelings towards you don't change. In fact they grow more and more."

Amarendra said with a smile that brought tears in Devasena's eyes. She held his face in her palms and looked into his eyes. Amarendra who saw tears brimming in her eyes, contained it and shook his head.

"I always keep my promise, Devasena. I don't like them in these eyes."

Devasena remembered how he did the same on the day of their wedding and promised to never let tears brim in her eyes. Emotional, Devasena moved forward and placed a peck on his forehead cherishing the feel of having her husband back with her after all the fateful things that happened in her life.

She couldn't thank her stars enough for returning this man in her life because without him, she was as good as dead. She held her life in that cell only because of her promise to her husband's motherland to return its son, her son back. Otherwise she seldom knew how she would have survived.

She made a promise to herself to cherish this man till her last breath. She already lost more than two decades of his accompaniment. This fortnight together was far less for the time they lost. And their lifetime was even less for her. She wanted to be with him beyond life.

She poured all these emotions in that small touch which Amarendra understood well as he let his wife express her feelings to him as he knew that she was not good with words.

"Deva, you know I don't mind being like this indefinitely. But you know, one of our grown up kids you were talking about sometime back is getting married and we need to be there."

Amarendra said with laughter dripping in his voice. Just like he expected, with a jab, Devasena stood up and started checking herself and was about to stride out when Amarendra held her and pulled her to him.