"Sir, I assure you she's in good hands." Iroh replied, strongly, sternly.

My father smiled. "Son, I was in the United Forces before you were even born, building this city, and I've heard of your achievements. You've done more than I could have in my entire career, and you're just getting started. I think she's the safest she'll ever be. I'm more than confident in you." He paused. "Just treat her well. She's a good one. She's got such a big heart."

"I know, sir." Iroh replied, shooting me a dazzling smile. "She does."

My father turned to me. "Oh and I went ahead and telephoned BSSU. Your headmaster literally yelped with joy when I told him you wanted your job back. He's already sent over the confirmation telegraph to the United Forces. It should already have gotten there, so you'll be set to start classes again by the start of the work week." My father was now heading into the doorway. "I'm just going to grab you something. I'll be right back."

"So," my mother broke in "I'll go set up the guest bedroom." She was almost shaking she seemed so happy. She followed my father out of the room. I turned to look at my brother and his fiancé. I decided it would be a good idea to introduce iroh to kyaala.

"Iroh," I began, "this is my brother's fiancé, Kyaala."

"Pleased to meet you, general." Kyaala smiled, rising to shake Iroh's hand across the table.

"Take care of my girl, here. She's a keeper."
"I plan on it." Iroh smiled.

"My sister's weird, Iroh." Matki broke in. "you sure you're ready for that much freaky?" he was holding back laughter, looking right at me. I glared at him.

"I think I'm looking at a lot more freaky right now, Matki." Iroh laughed back. "Tell your sister what you told me. Come on, do I really have to put you in the spotlight?"

"Dang it you said you wouldn't tell!" matki laughed. "But since I did call B a freak..." he paused, clearing his throat. "I told iroh that you were the best sister anyone could ever ask for, and while I am happy for you, I'm going to miss you more than anything. You'll always mean the world to me, B. You always have."

Matki had never said anything that nice and that sincere to me before. "You already know I feel the same, bro." I choked. "But you're still lame." I tried to say sarcastically, my eyes wet as I heard my father re-enter the room.

"Here, Bao." He said, handing me a paper package. "This was mine in the service. It's a little outdated, but I think you'll love it. Consider it a token of my blessing."

I tore off the paper to uncover a silver compass, with a rudimentary symbol on it. A circle, with three smaller circles in it, that very vaguely looked like waves. "What's this marking?" I asked.

"It's the symbol that my ancestors came up with a long time ago. They say it was the first sketch of what was to become the symbol for a settlement at the North Pole."

"The water tribe?" I asked, genuinely surprised.

"We believe so. That compass is over ten thousand years old. It's been in our family for ages. And now, it's yours. You're a waterbender, and you always have been. Your family made history, and so did you, and you will continue to. You're going to do amazing things."

I was elated. My world was turned upside down, but in the best way possible. I wasn't a loser. I wasn't lame or pathetic. I was me. I was who I was meant to be. I was going to go places, and see things, and change the world for the better. And I was going to do it with the man of my dreams and the support of my family.

"A little outdated?" I smirked. "Thanks, dad." I said, standing to hug him, as my mother walked back into the room.

"Well," she started. "It looks like we'll have to figure out what we're making for dinner. We'll eat and then we'll get on to sleep. I know you're probably not that tired since you slept so long, but you'll have to rise early to gather the things needed for your trip, dear." She turned to me. "You'll be amazing. I know you will." She then turned to look at Iroh, who seemed to be as happy as I was. "Your room is ready. You can put your things there."

"What are we having?" I asked, hoping my father caught onto Matki's sarcasm earlier about how bad his pork-beef chops were. I didn't want Iroh to eat those.

My father sensed what I was feeling. "Well since it has recently been brought to my attention that my meat is not well-liked in this house," He turned to shoot a glare at Matki, who smiled. "We're going to have some good-old fashioned fire nation fish. I think it is proper, seeing that our guest is of the Fire Nation." My father turned to shoot an approving glance at a nervously smiling Iroh. "We had it saved for a special occasion, and I think this counts. I'll have it ready in about two hours."

"Wonderful." My mother replied. "What shall we do until then?" she asked, turning to look at matki, kyaala, Iroh and me.

"I have an idea." I said, smiling. "Be back in a second." I turned to race out of the dining room and up the stairs to the guest bedroom. Inside the closet of the room iroh would be staying in there was an old pai sho set. I remembered that certain fire nation royals loved that game. I gathered all the pieces to the set and came back downstairs, and walked into the living room with the game. I laid out the set, the pieces, and called everyone into the room to play. Before the game began, Iroh took his one, small bag up to the guest bedroom, as he didn't pre-plan on staying the night. When he came back in the room, my family, iroh and I all sat down around the pai sho set and played until my father called us into dinner.

We ate an amazingly cooked meal and after that kyaala said goodbye to the family and went home. Before she left she sternly told me to not forget to be at her wedding. I laughed at the possibility of that happening before hugging her tightly and saying my final goodbye. My mother and father cleaned up dinner as iroh and I sat on the couch, talking about history and arguing about pro-bending for another two hours or so. My brother came after walking kyaala home to say he was going to bed. My parents followed shortly after. Then, iroh walked me up the stairs to my room, and before he went to go sleep in the guest bedroom saying he had experienced quite a long day and was very tired, compared to me, he kissed me goodnight.

When I walked into my room, I closed the door behind me and slid down to the floor, leaning against the door frame. I couldn't believe what had happened. Iroh, the prince of the fire nation, the General of the entire united forces had come to my home, sat with my family, and loved it. I couldn't even remember what I was afraid of before. In the back of my mind, though. I remembered. I could still feel the fear. It wasn't gone. It would show itself again. But in that moment, that night, I felt like I was on top of the world. I walked over to my mirror, looked at myself and saw beauty. I didn't feel weak that night.

I walked over to my window and looked out at the night sky. There looked like there were millions of stars. A sliver moonlight covered my room. I felt magical, and as I went to my bed and pulled back the sheets, I saw a letter from iroh laying on the mattress. It wasn't long, but it was from him.

It read:

Dear "B" (You're going to be hearing more of that adorable nickname),

I love you with all my heart and soul, and cannot wait to start my adventure with you in the morning. I can see now what made you want to stay here. You have it all. Being with your family was the most fun I've ever had. I can't wait to do it forever.
p.s. how in the world do you sleep so much? You must dream a lot.
With love,
General Iroh II.

My eyes were specked with tears as I picked up the letter, walking over to the box that contained my other letters from Iroh. I then climbed into my bed and after about half an hourwent to sleep, the happiest I had ever been in my whole life.