"Seven," Brandon announced, monotone, staring at his newspaper.

"Breanne...dear. Don't you think you ought to let the poor man inside now? It's nearly nightfall. He's been at it since early afternoon," Alla said, glancing from the window to her friend's face.

Breanne lifted her chin stubbornly.

..........

"Damn it, woman!" Reese bellowed.

"Eight," Brandon called out.

"Breanne—" Alla began.

"No."

"Breanne, it's twelve miles...each way. He has to cross the stream. And though I don't know how much those stones weigh, at this rate you're bound to be a widow twice!"

..........

"Nine."

"Bloody woman! Ye'll be th' death av me! I willna carry these damn stones another step!"

"It's your tradition, MacIntosh, not mine," Breanne called out indifferently.

Wood suddenly splintered from the door at the jarring force of Reese's boot.

"Don't you dare break my door!" Breanne yelled, outraged.

"He already has," Brandon responded, turning the page of the book he now held.

Another crash, and the sturdy door frame cracked from ceiling to floor.

Alla's eyes widened and her voice shook. "Brandon put down the book."

According to Scottish tradition, a husband-to-be was to carry a creel, or basket filled with stones on his back from one end of the village to the next, until the bride would come out of her house and kiss him.

The floor rumbled beneath them as the door was flung open and slammed against the wall.

Breanne suddenly straightened. Eyes wide, she dashed behind Brandon's chair and clutched his shoulder for dear life.

Brandon sighed heavily, eyes still trained on his book. "Don't harm her," he directed to Reese. "I've grown attached."

Reese threw the basket to the floor with a crash and the thunder of tumbling stones. His face was hot and flushed almost tomato red from exertion, and sweat poured down from his brow. He took two heavy strides before hoisting Breanne bodily from her place of retreat, crashing his lips to hers.

Her legs almost collapsed beneath her after his hands released their grip, and she stood stunned as he stormed out the smashed doorway.

Sparing a glance to her left, Breanne saw Alla standing close by, her eyes urging and supportive, while the rest of the congregated guests, including Reese's immediate family, Breanne's parents, and Alva and Magnus, were seated upon the benches behind them. Even Yagan was present, idly standing in the back of the room, keeping a notable distance between himself and everyone else.

"I do," she croaked.

"Yes," the priest loudly whispered, a conspiratorial smile temporarily smoothing out some of the wrinkles on his face. "I hear there will be stew; but now, I'm needin' yer answer." Laughter rang out from the crowd behind the couple.

Reese glared up at the ceiling, gathering patience, and shot direct eyes back to the deaf priest. "Th' lass agrees," he loudly announced.

"With respect...th' question wasn't fer ye, MacIntosh, but fer her." The priest, fully intimidated by Reese's stance and stature, flinched as he stood his ground against the fierce man.