𝟬𝟮𝟯 1 step forward, 3 steps back

Начните с самого начала

     If only it was that easy.

     Nova rested her head against the backseat of Kiara's car, the vehicle parked underneath an old, abandoned shack covers in vines and green leaves, keeping them off the grid for the time being. But despite being out of the woods for now, it didn't mean they were remotely calm about the situation at hand. In fact, Nova didn't sleep a wink throughout the long night, and whenever the girl found herself drifting off into a deep slumber, her crippling paranoia and spine tingling trepidation would get the better of her and shoot the girl awake all over again.

     Nova repeated that process all through the nice until the next day, which brings them to present time. Nova was sat beside Juno in the back seat, a quiet sigh leaving her lips as the group listened to the radio playing in the car, the broadcast and the continuous static being the only thing the girl could hear, the sound drowning out the silence. Despite the broadcast being nothing more than daily updates about the loss of power in Outer Banks and the weather ( a total snoozefest, may she add ) it was better than being trapped with her dark thoughts. It even took her mind off of everything going on right now.

"—Good news for residents of Outer Banks. Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to ninety percent of the area should be functional within twenty four hours." The broadcaster informed. At least they got some sort of good news, Nova thought to herself.

Suddenly, the blaring sound of sirens echoed sharply through the air, causing for Nova to sink further down into her seat as a set of police cars drove past. Nova even caught a small glimpse of the red and blue lights that flashed as they drove by. The sight of the familiar cars were enough to ignite a spark of fear in the girl, scared that they would get caught underneath the abandoned shack, but her worries soon faded away when the sirens faded, the radio drowning out the noise.

"—And still no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin." The broadcaster on the radio added, the mention of Peterkin's name being enough to make Nova tense up. "The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from—"

Silence soon flooded the car when Kiara reached over and switched off the radio. This caused for Nova to let out a sigh filled with frustration. Between the death of Susan Peterkin and John B being on the hook for a murder he didn't even commit in the first place, Nova and her friends hadn't even found a moment of peace. And despite the fact that they had laid low for a while without getting caught, the broadcaster on the radio was a reminder that John B wasn't safe.

"Let's game this out." JJ piped up, his familiar voice being enough to make Nova lift her gaze to look over at JJ and John B, who were sat in the seats in front of her and Juno. "Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us?" He questioned rhetorically, the rest of them already knowing the answer to that question.

"So the accuser is a big shot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the Governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused...is John B." JJ then paused, the boy letting out a quiet sigh. "Who is pretty much a homeless sixteen year old boy at the moment."

John B hummed in response to JJ's statement, sparing his friend and agitated glance. "Thanks." He replied.

"I knew you should have stayed with the rest of us instead of trying to play hero for Sarah Cameron." Juno mused, earning a disapproving look from Nova in response to her words. Her friend did have the worse timing when it came to being her usual quirky self.

"Thanks..." John B trailed off for a moment, a frown washing over his face. "I guess." He added, his voice barely above a whisper.

Shortly after John B had spoken, JJ propped himself up onto his side and glanced over at the boy laying beside him, a serious look plastered across his face. "Yucatan, all right?" He suggested, earning an eye roll from Nova as he continued to speak. "I'm saying that's the only option. What other options do you have?" He pressed further, sounding sure that there was no other option left for John B, especially on an island crawling with cops who wanted to lock him up for a crime he didn't even commit.