"Did she say how long it had to be?" Lily asked, not looking up from the books. 

"Two and a half feet minimum," James replied. 

"Comprehensive?" Lily asked.

"Yup," James said. 

"Alright," Lily muttered. 

Lily reached for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and flipped to the section about unicorns. She could feel James sneaking glances at her, gauging what she would do. She sighed in defeat, knowing that she'd have to talk to him some time. 

"This book is by Lorcan and Lysander's great-grandfather right?" Lily asked. 

"Yeah on their dad's side," James replied. 

"That's cool. I wish I had cool relatives," Lily said with a small smile. 

"Me too," James joked. 

She gave him an annoyed look and he gave her a goofy smile. She couldn't stay mad at him for long for a reason she couldn't explain. And as she kept looking at him, even though she fought it, a smile crept its way onto her face.

"There's that smile," James said softly. 

She blushed.

"Don't hide it, you look gorgeous when you do," he said. 

He then looked down and continued working. He looked down. He ended the conversation. What the hell was happening? Lily's face was flaming and she hated that he was the one to act calm and collected. 

"Do you want to work on it together?" Lily asked tentatively. 

James looked up at her question. 

"Sure, I'm just reading over stuff and taking notes," he replied. 

"Me too," she mumbled. 

Lily shifted herself so she was next to James instead of diagonal from him, picked up a book and started taking notes.

"I can take notes on the properties of unicorn hair and blood and you can take them on their lifestyle and aging and then we can swap?" James asked. 

"Sounds good!" Lily replied. 

So they got to work, flipping through books, occasionally they went for the same one, but not often. They worked in a slightly uncomfortable silence, but instead of James sneaking looks at Lily, it was the other way around. Eventually he broke the silence. 

"So how are you?" James asked. 

"Busy," Lily replied.

"Nice," James muttered.

"I have a lot of plans this weekend, that's all," Lily explained.

"What kind of plans?" James asked. 

"I think we have the same ones," Lily said. 

"Studying tonight, the Thomas party tomorrow, Slughorn's party the next day and then also a shit load of homework?" James asked. 

"Sounds about right!" Lily said as she laughed a little. 

"They give us homework like they think we don't have social lives! And the worst part is, I can't ask my dad for test answers because he didn't go to seventh year!" James exclaimed. 

"Oh yeah, what was he doing? Saving the Wizarding World?" Lily asked.

"I think so, I'm not entirely sure," James joked. 

They laughed a bit together, but kept their voices lower so as to not be reprimanded by Madame Pince. 

"But seriously, it must be so cool to have Harry Potter be your dad!" Lily exclaimed quietly.