Secret worth keeping

A/n: idk what it is with you guys and baby fics. But they get suggested a lot so here's another one. Even tho I hate kids I gotta admit the whole 'L never had a family so him having a kid fills that gap' thing is cute as fuck tho.

Prompt: L vanishes from taskforce one day, the taskforce left to wonder where he went and they eventually find out it's because he's newly a father.

"He won't pick up his phone" Matsuda said.

"He could have at least left a note or something, where on earth is he?" Light added.

It'd been almost a whole day, and L was just gone. No messages, no instructions for work left, no sign on him at all. Him or Watari. But the wondering if the taskforce would be quenched when they heard a door open from behind them. When they turned, they found Watari was back.

"Hey, where'd you go? Where's L?" Matsuda asked.

"Yeah what's going on? He didn't even leave a note or anything" Aizawa added.

Watari put his stiff down, walking up to the group.

"I'm afraid you'll have to work without him for a while, something has come up" he said.

The taskforce exchanged confused glances.

"Like what?" Light asked.

"His wife went into labour six weeks early last night and-"

"HOLD ON L'S MARRIED? HE HAS A KID?" Misa exclaimed.

Now the taskforce were really intrigued, L seemed to alone and standoffish, so this was shocking news to the taskforce.

"Yes he has a wife, and yes he has a child now" Watari said.

"Hold on, six weeks early? Is the baby ok?" Mr Yagami replied.

"Both the baby and mother are ok, there's no complications. She's a tiny delicate thing though, so she'll need the extra care"

Watari knew that the taskforce would bombard him with questions. He was careful not to give away things like names and personal details on you and the baby, since this child was basically his grandchild since he in a way adopted L. He cared for the child as much as you and L did. So he was to cover for L while he was gone.

Meanwhile, exhausted from a long stressful birth you slept soundly upstairs back home. L was buzzing to get time with the baby, but he knew full well that mother-child time came first after the birth. So now you were asleep, it was his turn.

When you first told him you were pregnant he was terrified, happy of course, but scared. He didn't want to accidentally grow into his own birth parents, he didn't want his job to strain the relationship with his daughter, he was worried for their safety due to kira, he was scared he'd be a bad dad. But you assured him that everything would be fine, and that he should worry since he'd finally have the family he lost as a child.

As time went on he knew he had to let the fear go, after all carrying a child isn't easy and he needed to be there for you. And when the time came for baby shopping he stared to get exited. He may have gone a bit overboard with the candy themes onesies and hats.

He sat alone in the lounge room, tired and reeling from the fear of an early birth. He held his new daughter in his arms as she slept, wrapped up in a blanket with stars on it, wearing a onesie covered in strawberries. He could hardly believe that the child he held was his own.

At this point he'd run out of happy tears to cry so he just sat in awe looking down at her. Her hair was as dark as his, and he couldn't wait until it was long enough to put into pigtails for her. She was pale, just like him. Something told him that she'd gotten a lot of his genes. But he also knew that as she grew she'd start turning out a lot like you.

The name was something you and L debated on for ages, it felt right to have something less common, something as pretty as she'd grow to be, something meaningful. In the end you both settled on Mariposa. After the fairytale. You'd call her Mari for short.

You joked at the addition on another M name to L's circle. Mail and Mihael, Matt and Mello both being M's in line for L's legacy and now there was another.

Of course, L would encourage his daughter to persuade her own dream, but if she wished to take over the title of L one day, he'd be honoured to let her have it.

Mariposa Lawliet. A name only you, L, and the wammys boys would be allowed to utter. A secret definitely worth keeping. L was already fiercely protective of you, so you could only imagine how protective he'd be over his daughter.

The baby moved in his arms as she slept, making baby noises as babies do. Her tiny hands grabbed the fabric on his shirt, his heart flipping out for a moment at the sight.

"Oh she's going to be ssuuuccchhhh a daddies girl"

L jumped slightly, turning to see you now awake in the doorway.

"It's late you should be asleep, I'll take-" he began.

"I've been asleep ever since we got home, I'm fine honey. You just wanna keep her for yourself huh?" You joked, walking over to sit next to him.

You leaned your against him and wrapped an arm around him, using the other to slightly pull back the blanket to see the child you went through hell to give life too.

"Aren't you sore? Or tired? Or-"

"L, I'm fine. I carried that child for nine damn months I can just about handle anything now" you replied.

You leaned over to kiss L's forehead, a smile growing on his lips.

"Look at you, so hung up on her"

"I just can't believe that my child..." he said.

"Better start believing because the next 18 years maybe more will be dedicated to keeping her safe"

"I know, you know full well I'm not letting anyone hurt her. If it means giving up my gleaming reputation as L I'll do it. I don't need fame in the crime scene, I have you two"

Returning your kiss with a kiss on the cheek, you smiled. He turned to the baby to gently place a kiss on her head too. The sensation of affection making her smile in her sleep.

"See? Look at her smile. She's already a daddies girl and it hasn't even been a damn day"