Part 1 | Chapter 9

Start from the beginning

"Nope, there's a party tonight and I'm getting ready." She said, "I can wait for you if you want."

"Nope. Absolutely not. I'm not going to another party where someone hates the living hell out of me." I tell her, waving a hand in disappointment and she pouts.

"Awe, poor Evie can't take a little Matteo."

I turn to her and slapped her arm playfully before laughing. "Hey, you know how I feel about men like him, "

"Oh, oh yeah, Mr. Montague, where are you? These men are rather distasteful!" She mocked an English accent as I headed out the door, escaping her further mockery.

I don't understand why people could be so judgemental on my views about romance and men in general. They are right when saying that my standards are a little too high and rightfully so. Once I lower my standard then I'd be opening myself up to a whole lot of troubles.

Disrespectful men, disloyal lovers, and cheaters. Mother always said higher is always better and Inlive by that. She fought her way up to where she is now and I'm honoring that of course. If that means people won't ever understand my views then so be it. It's better than being just a couple of hundred times like those I know.

Especially a man like Matteo. He's the kind that every girl should stay away from, but I can only imagine the ones who are actually attracted to him.

Running into the streets I let my mind wander. Towards the beautiful green trees threatening to dry as fall approaches. The golden light of dusk as it painted over the concrete below me and the feel of the wind against my cheeks as I ran against it. It's quite refreshing to not be breathing in toxic air- despite the immense pollution.

California is truly beautiful if you look at the right places. Despite all the tall buildings and loud cars, it truly is majestic. I'm too lucky to be living here. It was always he dream for me and my family. Mother and Father worked their best to get us here and I'm not about to change that for anyone.

A few more and I was breathing heavily feeling the beads of sweat on my forehead. I hadn't realized how far I've run until I snapped back to reality finding myself in front of the hotel I know is about a few blocks away from campus.

It's easy to let your mind wander when you're running. It gives it a little rest that it truly needs.

Not just from Matteo be from everything.

A person likes me who doesn't settle for good enough is someone who doesn't get enough rest.

I halt just at a crossroads, mixing with the rush hour crowd and huffed in exhaustion as I watched the sunset beyond the concrete jungle.

I ran a few more laps around the same block knowing that my mind needs longer to refresh.

It's junior year now and I've survived the years so far. There shouldn't be much of a difference left. I'm 21 and grown. I've made my decisions so this year should be just as easy. Even though I have a guy on my back named Matteo, this year should be just as bearable.

One can only hope.

• • •

Coming back to the dorms, tired and sweaty I find it empty. I checked the time and realize that Danica left pretty early but who was I to really care. She's been doing the same thing forever now and I'm used to it. She goes to parties and I stay at home reading books, I get it.

Deciding that it was a good idea for me to take a shower, I did. The co-eds we're never my favorites but like everything else, I've gotten used to it.

After that, I ate a sandwich for dinner and headed back to my desk.

My only home. The only place where I spend my entire life on but this time I find myself frowning on a piece of blank paper with the title of this year's project. No idea's come to my mind on how to answer it and I began getting frustrated.

I tried walking around, stretching, reading some passages to try and gain inspiration but nothing came to mind. For the first time, I was entirely blank.

I sighed, dropping my cold pen on the paper in defeat. Running my fingers through my hair, I swiveled my chair and looked out the inky window in the room. Staring out to the blinking lights of the city.

I wonder how Danica is doing at that party.

I hated it, yes I did. However, I would be lying if I said it didn't feel more interesting than this. I'm cooped up in a room with a pen and paper, surely drunk college kids sound far better. I feel bad just thinking about it. It's distracting me now.

I feel a little too old to sit in my room doing schoolwork. Perhaps Danica is right, I should go out more.

No. I shake my head in the realization of the poisonous thoughts I was having.

I can't think like that. When has schoolwork not beaten house parties? It's more beneficial than thought.

I grab my phone, checking my messages, and indeed found my mother's.

Remember to keep on studying honey, we love you.

It says and I sighed. Of course, they'd be the one to remind me when I'm falling off the rails. It's like they know what I'm thinking every time.

• • •

Hey guys! Now, quick question, was I being too fast-paced, or is it good enough?

I really just have ideas and I write them down without thinking much about it so I am sorry if it's fast-paced. Please let me know though. Anyway, I hope you find this nice. I know it's a little filler but it should've given you an idea or a sneak-peek into Evie's life.

-Asteria.