5.

Hi everyone, last chapter was a bit of a whirlwind as Mason meets Heidi again, we'll soon have them meet properly ;) This chapter will be Heidi again. It's a slightly shorter chapter, but I wanted to split it into two. Please vote, comment, follow and add to your reading lists if you happen across this story.

-H xx

When I awoke for the third day in Penshaw Lake, the sunlight was streaming brilliantly into the room through the thin, white curtains. I took my time to open my eyes, stretch and just allow myself to wake up fully. Last night went wonderfully, once Mason had gone. I spent the time conversing with the girls, careful not to reveal too much about myself, but their personalities were so infectious, it was so difficult to stop myself from spouting my whole story. Just before eleven, Dee walked me back to the hotel. My mum was surprised that I was home on time, like she had asked and folded her arms, keen on interrogating me.

"Where did you go?" She asked me as I walked through the door, barely letting the door close behind me before she pounced.

"Let me get my shoes off before the interrogation commences please," I replied snarkily as I sat down to take off the heels.

"Well?" She pressed, sitting on the edge of her bed and crossing her legs.

"The Black Horse, a pub on the high street. I met up with some girls and we had a few drinks. I don't even know why I have to discuss this with you. I'm twenty one years old!"

"I'm still your mother," Mum huffed. "Nothing untoward happened then?"

I decided to keep Mason a secret. I wanted her to like Penshaw Lake, yes Mason was dangerous, but we weren't alone anymore. I had Dee, Josie and Kate, if they were enablers then Dee wouldn't have cared for me like she did.

"Nope," I lied, popping my lips together.

"What are the men like?"

"I only met a couple and they were kind and polite," This, of course, was a stretched truth. Kai was lovely, and Isaac was flirtatious but seemingly harmless. Eric was a little more reserved, but more quiet than anything. Mason? I hadn't even technically met him, and I hoped I never would.

"Hmm," was all she replied. It wasn't unlike her to go silent when she realised that she didn't have much of a counter-argument to go on.

I got dressed for bed and wiped off the makeup from my face. Getting into bed, I faced my mum and asked her the question that had been burning the back of my mind.

"Do you think we'll ever settle down and stop running?"

Mum sat up, staring intently at me, but her gaze wasn't angry, just curious.

"You want to stay here?" She asked. "I've seen a few men whom I wouldn't like to meet again."

"Everywhere we go, there will always be men mum," I said softly. "Don't you think we deserve to stop running after all this time?"

Mum heaved a heavy sigh and lay back down in her bed. It was a difficult topic, but it had only been brought up once before.

"Give me until the end of the week. Then I'll make a decision."

I smiled, that was enough for me.

I turned over in bed, thinking about the events of last night when I watched my mum stir and open her eyes too.