Chapter 42: Wonders

Start from the beginning

Time went by as I was finishing up my artwork. It only needed a few more touches of added highlight and shadows and it was finished. My nose began to itch again for the third time as I scratched it with the back of my hand. Everything was a mess. There was paint all over the floor and on my clothes. Hopefully Enoch wouldn't be too mad about it. Adding the last few touches my lips couldn't help but start to sing.

"If you wonder a dream where life begins," I sing slowly in a minor key, "there you'll find it's at the end. Oh what a day to live at the other side of the rainbow. Light shines. . . so bright. Oh what starlight, in my eyes. . . shining brightly like a dream. . . Oh starlight, come shine for me, for me, for me."

"I didn't know you sing."

I jolted, paint flinging from the paintbrush to the portrait. A sharp gasp exhales from my throat as I try to fix it by carefully rubbing a white spot away with a splotchy red finger, mixing it in to give it an unnecessary glob in that directed spot.

Turning around ever so slightly I nearly jumped again not realizing how close he was to me. He was right behind me staring at the painting, examining it closely. I watched him focus on the art taking it in.

"How long were you standing there?" I blurted.

He smiled, his eyes turning back to me before retreating. "Long enough."

"So," I ask slowly. "What do you think?"

"I didn't know you painted either." Chase said, oblivious to the intent of my question.

"I don't really. It's just something to do when I have nothing else." I shrugged, looking back at the portrait of something I thought was pretty. "Wh-what do you think about the picture?"

"Is it you?" He asked, his eyes fixated. "No, that can't be. This looks more a goddess. However, it's not too far off."

My face flushed, turning away from his flattery. "Shut up, no it's not." I argued brushing it away. He smiled, his eyes softening as if he was laughing in his mind. I could see it in his eyes. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"It's just. . . you're covered in paint." Chase said with a knowing grin, holding back his tongue from laughing as his eyes flickered to the spots on my hair and face and clothes.

"Well, now you are too." I jest before stabbing the brush into the paint before a splat of bright pink covers his cheek. My own eyes shoot wide realizing what I had done. My teeth clamp onto the inside of my cheek to contain fits of laughter. His face was priceless, completely stunned that I would smash paint on him.

"You wouldn't be laughing if I did that you you." Chase retorted quickly with his cheeks flustering.

"Oh, please, you wouldn't dare." I said with a taunting look in his direction. His eyes flared up, his hand striking at the other paintbrush doused in blue from when I dropped it earlier. He splattered it all over the front side of me. My mouth fell open in disbelief and shock. "Chase, no! Not the dress!"

"Oh please, as if it isn't already ruined," he scoffed with a hearty laugh as he emptied the contents of a red bottle on my face and clothes dribbling onto the floor. My eyes were clamped shut in fear of it getting in my eyes.

"You think you're so funny, don't you?" I said wiping the paint from my eyes to open them to a grinning Chase enjoying himself.

"Actually, I think I'm hilarious." Chase let out a laugh. A scoff fell dryly from my lips.

"Har. Har." I said dryly before swabbing a bit of paint on my finger and running it along his shirt. "Now you got some on yours."

"With that little streak? Ha!" Chase laughed before reaching to grab another bottle of paint to attack. I gasped, not ready to be a walking color so I smashed the palette into his chest knocking him off guard as the colors rubbed into his crisp white shirt. It was too late as cold paint oozes into my hair, drizzling down to my neck.