Chapter 4

"El Riego City Councilor, Edmund Valencia, had been found dead in his room drenched in his own blood yesterday morning. He was stabbed once on his chest with a knife and received a gunshot on his head. The police had found no trace of evidence from the crime scene, which made them suspect that the killer was a professional. Meanwhile..."

" Ma, I'm going to school now." Zach said as he went down the stairs. Naabutan niya si Kelly na nakaupo sa sofa habang nanonood ng local news. Nagtaka siya kung bakit hindi siya nito napansin kahit malakas ang pagkakasabi niya.

Nang lapitan niya ay nakita niya kung gaano kaseryoso ang mukha nito. He touched her shoulder to get her attention.

"Ma, I'm going now." Zach asked. Kelly was brought back to reality and looked at Zach, surprised to see him beside her. "What's the matter, Ma?" Zach asked. He could tell that she was thinking of something serious. Might be related to the news, but he chose to ignore it.

"Oh nothing. Have you eaten yet?" She asked.

"Nope. I'll be having breakfast at the cafeteria with Drey. By the way, what time are you leaving?" He asked.

" Around nine. Be careful." She said.

Zach began walking towards the door, but before he could even walk out, Kelly spoke again.

"Don't talk to strangers." Zach stopped. The moment he heard the word stranger, he thought of West.

"Why?"

"Just don't." She replied plainly.

"Okay." Then he closed the door and left.

" I see. He's already grown as a good man." Isang paos at malalim na boses mula sa likod ng pintuan ng kusina.

Kelly looked where the voice came from and saw a man, about forty years of age, tall and bearded was emerging from the kitchen.

"Ben." Kelly said in a serious tone.

"Matagal-tagal na rin sumula noong huling beses na nakapag-usap tayo, Kelly Madrigal." He walked towards Kelly and sat on the sofa adjacent to where she sat. "I must say, I'm impressed by how you handle him."

" Abala lang ako sa trabaho ko." She said and focused her attention on the television.

"Isn't it amusing to see? The fiercest snake of the Reptiles becomes the tamer of the dragon. Akala ko talaga wala kang plano maging nanay?" He sarcastically said while crossing his legs.

" Don't try me, Benedicto." She glared.

There was a quiet moment between them. The only sound they can hear in the room is the voice of the news anchor in the television.

"Edmund." She said.

"I know. I already knew he would end up like this. He was being careless, not to mention being too reckless." Ben replied which made Kelly sigh.

" Why the hell would he run as a City Councilor? He made himself vulnerable, it's his fault! He got too carried away with his ambitions." Kelly commented.

"He's also here. Nakita ko siya." Kelly immediately looked at Ben seriously after what he said. Her heart started beating fast. She knows how she can defend herself, but the person Ben is referring to is someone beyond her capacity.

"H-how?"

"I still don't know. I have a feeling that Larry released him in exchange of something." There was a very serious aura in the room. " That's why I'm here to pick you up."

"I thought, we'll only be having a meeting?" She said.

"Do you really think it's still safe for you? Edmund was taken down easily, and I'm pretty sure you're next." Ben leaned forward and placed her hand over Kelly's hand. "I rushed here the moment I received the news about him. This is serious, Kelly. He's hunting the Reptiles, one by one."