Chapter 1

I push people away from my path, not minding if I hurt anyone.

I slam into the receptionists desk, breathless from running all the way from the house to here.

"Miss. Paki usap. The passenger is Juan Karlos Labajo, I just want to know if he survived." I ramble on, wet tears staining my face.

"Sorry po ma'am... Eh wala pa po ang final count ng survivors po...you can just wait there at the waiting room po..." She points at a room.

"Miss... please nalang. I need to know!" I sob.

"Sorry po ma'am...wait nalang ho kayo..."

I stumble into the waiting room, where a handful of teenagers, some crying families, and an old woman sit, waiting like me.

I sit down next to the old woman.

"Who are you waiting for?" She croaks, turning to look at me.

"My close friend po." I say. "Juan Karlos Labajo." I bow my head down.

"My husband is on that plane. He was supposed to come home for his birthday. He should've come home!" She cries and I put a hand on her shoulder, trying to comfort the poor woman.

"The survivors are up on the bullet board!" Someone shouts and I run to the cork board.

SURVIVORS:
Maria Lancast....room 552
Robert Patingtom...room 473
Gia Palasio...room 250

I scan the list so many times, looking for the name that holds my life.

Juan Karlos Labajo...room 932

I almost cry out in relief as I pull away from the crowd.

I run to the elevators and close the doors before anyone could join me. I punch in floor 9 as the elevator lurches up.

I grab ahold of the bar next to me to steady myself.

He's okay...he's alive.....he's okay....

I chant to myself as tears run down my face.

The doors clank open and I rush myself to room 932.

I throw the doors open to find Tito Gio and Coach Bamboo on either side of a bandaged, bruised, unconscious Juan Karlos.

They see me and leave the room...Tito Gio pausing to hug me before leaving the room. "He's in a coma." He whispers to me.

I walk to the side of his bed.

That's when I crack.

I fall to my knees beside him, clutching his hand.

"I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry that I had to force you. I'm sorry for living, I'm sorry for everything. Juan Karlos, please..... wake up!!" I half-shout to him, as if I can command him into life.

I hug him, holding him close to me.

I push away his curly hair from his forehead, and for a second, I imagine that he's just sleeping. That if I squeeze him enough, he'll wake up and put on that goofy grin of his and tell me that everything will be okay.

But he doesn't. He doesn't wake up.

I cry softly beside him.

"I love you." I whisper into his ear.

He jerks awake.

I stare at him and he stares back.

"Oh. Oh my god!!" I scream and launch myself onto him. I hug him, squeezing him and pressing my lips to his forehead.

Something between a sob and a gasp escapes my mouth.

"You're alive. You're okay, you're awake." I say over and over as if I can't bring my self to reality.

When I pull away, he has confused eyes.

I smile at him, but he frowns back.

"Who are you?"