episode seven

hi! i hope youre enjoying this story :) i am so incredibly thankful for all the votes and comments and reads! youre all such angels <3 this chapter is kinda sad, and TW: drugs, addiction, almost overdose flashback, and just sadness. if anyone has any suggestions for this story, please dm me! id love to hear any ideas or anything:)) 

this chapter is also almost 3k words long so im sorry lol

𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖘𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓:
𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖜𝖆𝖙𝖊𝖗

𝐍𝐅 | 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐮𝐬

» AFTER THE FIRST FEW CASES, MYKIE REALIZED THAT SHE TRULY WAS A FAST LEARNER. It was still nerve-wracking, and speaking up in any conversation purely out of her own free will was a challenge within itself, it slowly settled into her conscience. She hadn't screwed up too bad yet, and she feared that the longer it went before she'd made a mistake, that when she'd finally made one, it would be intense. 

She knew that the more stressed she became, she would also be more accident-prone and her lapses in judgement would be more frequent. Her stress, however, never stopped. In moments like this, her blood pressure hit the roof. Her lapse in judgement was now. 

She stood at the doorsteps of her mother's house. Her eyes never left the small scratch on the mahogany door, which somehow provided her guidance.

She hadn't actually been here, inside, in months. Before she had time to think, her knuckles softly tapped on the door. A soft screech that she recognized immediately sounded from behind the wooden door, before quickly opening.

A pair of bright green eyes glanced up at her, and two tight pigtails bounced up and down. Mykie could never get used to the sight of seeing the girl who she loved with everything inside of her. 

"I knew you'd come! You always come!" Jo smiled, and Mykie latched onto the small body of the young girl as if her life depended on it. As she let go, she stepped inside fully, and she looked around. The house smelled like cigarettes and fresh linen wrapped in tinfoil. At least she's doing laundry, or at the very least, buying air freshener, Mykie thought snidely.

"Where's Mom, Jo?" Mykie asked softly, grabbing her small hand and grasping it tightly. "The couch, she was cleaning. She forgot the vacuum was on, I think." Jo smiled a gap-toothed smile, and although the girl deserved to know the truth, she was so glad that she got the chance to be a kid. She had no idea what really was going on.

"Can you make me a sandwich while I go talk to Mom?" Mykie asked softly, tucking the side of Jo's blonde bangs into her ear. "Turkey or ham?" Jo asked, padding towards the kitchen. "Surprise me?" Mykie smiled, before she took a deep breath in and took slow, paced steps toward the living room. The vacuum was running loudly and it didn't sound as if it were moving.