Summer Winds Motel

Start from the beginning

"I swear to God, these shorts won't stop going up my ass." She vulgarly complains, moving in a way that resembles an Irish jig.

"Then take them off." JJ shrugs, commenting casually. It wasn't unusual for the group to throw out flirting remarks, they knew it was all in good fun. That didn't stop Remi from scoffing as she made her way to the front of the boat. JJ poked fun at Remi most often and it didn't go unnoticed by the rest of the Pogues who had grown used to it.

"Do you always think about me naked or-?" She asks rhetorically, not expecting an answer as the boy helps her down, holding her arm to ease her fall. The overgrown grass poked at her legs, itching her skin. She tried not to think about the bugs most likely crawling around her.

"What? They all do!" JJ threw his hand out, motioning to their other friends on the boat as if was already a common understanding.

"Seriously?" She looks up at them, squinting slightly in the sunlight.

"Sometimes." John B shrugs.

"Uh huh." Pope nods, slightly embarrassed.

"Once or twice." Kie confirms truthfully, pursing her lips.

"Really Pope? I expected this from them, but you? I'm ashamed." She shakes her head, holding her hand over her heart then leaning on the boat next to JJ dramatically.

For a moment, Pope feigns shame, shaking his head and looking down to his feet. Deciding that they should get on with checking out the motel room, John B makes a move to get off the boat before Pope moves to get his attention with a light smack on the shoulder.

"Hey."

"Yeah?" John B turns to Pope.

"Don't let him do anything stupid. And don't let him bring her into doing anything stupid." He points at JJ, then to Remi. Remi glances to the boy standing beside her, rocking back and forth in his boots. He almost looks slightly offended for a moment but then he opens his mouth.

"Oh, we will." He nods, glancing from Remi to John B. Her head nods slightly, the girl knowing that it was bound to happen.

What could she say? As long as nobody got hurt, trouble was always fun.

"I'm not making any promises." John B said, leaving Pope to sigh.

"Yeah, I know." He sat down in the Captain's chair with a huff.

The redhead's fingers messed with the bracelets tied around her wrist, watching as Kiara stared right at John B. For a moment, no words passed between the two. They looked like they were off in their own little world.

"Uh, be careful." Kie rests her hand on John B's shoulder as if she was passing off good energy straight into him. From where she stood, Remi could practically see the smile forming on John B's face. "I mean it." Kie tilted her head, sincerity in her words.

"Yeah." John B chuckles like a little boy, seeing the girl in a new light.

Remi's mouth was open ever so slightly in confusion at the exchange she had just witnessed. A dragonfly sped past her head as she glanced to the boy beside her. JJ looked back with his brows creased, just as much confusion written across his face.

"Let's go." John B claps his hand against JJ's back as he drops to the ground.

Locking eyes with Kiara, Remi points her fingers, shaking them at John B as the boy walks away. Her lips mouth the words 'What was that?', bringing a small blush to Kiara's cheeks. Pushing off of the boat, Remi offers a final salute to Kie and Pope before following after the boys. They walk under the cover of tall palm trees, fallen palm fronds crunching under their footfall. Not many vehicles at all were parked in the small gravel lot. An excessive amount of gnats buzzed around their heads, something they had grown used to living in the south. Discarded mattresses were leaned up against the chain-link fence, clearly being the source of the nasty smell of mildew that permeated all around the motel.