𝟑. 𝐀 𝐏𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐅𝐫𝐚𝐦𝐞

Start from the beginning

Shinobu just walked towards the mess and tilted her head. As she looked back at me she gave me a genuine beam of a smile and whispered a barely audible

"It's alright, nothing a new-frame won't fix.."

I let go of the breath I didn't even realize ai was holding and tried to help her pick up all the pieces of shattered glass.

Once we finished Shinobu took the stray photo and sat down on the twin-sized bed from before. She gave a weak sigh as she scrutinized the photo.

"W-who is that..?" I asked, very hesitant as I sat down on the bed alongside her.

"Hmm..? Ah, that's me and my sister, when we were little." she breathed out.

"Oh, I see... I'm truly sorry for breaking the frame, Shinobu." I said looking at her side profile.

"Yes, it is a shame.."

"But!" she looked over to me, looking me straight in the eyes. "I can easily get a replacement, so it isn't a big deal. At least the photo isn't ruined, correct?"

I suddenly felt very flustered and looked away.

"Y-Yeah..true.."

Shinobu's mouth went into a small 'O' shape before saying.

"Aww, Y/N. You really are adorable aren't you?"

I felt my face burn even hotter.

"E-Ehh?? I'm not that cute! Don't be silly Shinobu, you're the beautiful one! Have you seen yourself?" I rambled a bit.

The benevolent girl gave a meek giggle.

"That means a lot Y/N, thank you very much! Though you don't have to be so modest, you're very cute!" the raven-haired girl said before pulling me into a warm hug.

"I know we've only met today, but I'm really glad we did. Meet, I mean. I can see us becoming very close friends in the future!" she added.

"Friends.."

"Say, Shinobu, what happened to the other girl in the photo? If you don't mind me asking that is." I asked charily.

"Oh!" she pulled away, looking back to the photo, her mood dimming.

"She was..well.." she started, sort of stumbling over herself trying to find the right thing to say.

"She passed a little while ago." she finally said.

"Oh.." is all I could muster out.

We sat in silence for a few seconds. I decided to break the tense feeling in the air or try at least.

"I'm sorry for your loss..I shouldn't have asked. It was very ignorant of me." I let out in a shallow breath.

"Hm? What? No..no.. you're fine. You were only curious." she smiled again, this time a very sad smile. I noticed she smiled quite a bit, every time I look at her, there's some sort of smile plastered on her face. Let it be a happy one, a soft one, or a sad one..it's always there.

"Well," Shinobu interrupted my thoughts.

"It's getting quite late, Would you like for me to set up a futon for you? Or..you could sleep in my bed with me.." she said, this time, with a cheeky grin on her face and a small blush dusting her cheeks.

"Shinobu~~ stop saying things like that! It's embarrassing!" I pouted. "Hmph."

"Ahh~ I'm just joking Y/N..I'll go set the futon up for you." Shinobu then went on to the other room, supposedly getting the futon for me to sleep on.

"I'm back!"

She continued to do as she said she would earlier and set up the futon for me.

"All set, hope it's comfortable enough for you Y/N, tell me if you need anything."

"Thank you, Shinobu." I replied, going to go lay onto the futon she had just laid out.

She hummed in reply and went to turn off the lights, scurrying to her bed.

"Goodnight Y/N~"

"Goodnight Shinobu.."

Then I drifted off to sleep...

Or not..

For some reason I laid awake. It's not like I was uncomfortable or anything, I just didn't feel that sleepy..

I turned my head a bit to look over at Shinobu who was already fast asleep. Her face was facing me and I couldn't help but stare. 'This is really creepy..right?' I thought to myself. 'Well..It's not like she'll know..I'm only staring.." another thought butted in. I decided to keep staring at this beauty of a girl. Her hair falling into her eyes as the pale moonlight from the window nearby illuminated her face, giving me a better looking at her aesthetically pleasing features. She really was something unique. Something idolizing..

Her mouth hung open a little, leaving room for a dribble of drool to be let out onto her pillow.

So cute..

I eventually stopped staring, figuring in no matter what sense it is in, staring at someone, especially someone sleeping, its creepy and rude. Though, I could close my eyes and picture us together..her ravishing facial structure blessing.

My heartbeat sped up intently.

My final thoughts were my, for the most part, innocent fantasies about me and her as I ultimately stray off into a peaceful slumber.