Prologue

(8 Years Old)
"Y/N!" Edward and Alphonse Elric, your ever so curious and slightly obnoxious neighbors called your name as they raced up the hill your small country house sat upon. You sighed a little before offering them a bright smile. "We saw flashes of light up here! Are you practicing alchemy again?" Al asked, tilting his head to the side a little as he noticed the transmutation circle you'd drawn on the ground. You nodded. "Yup! I've been studying a lot more lately— hey!!" Ed snatched the book you'd been checking out of your hands and took a moment to examine the pages.

"You're learning how to fix broken bones?" He questioned.

"Yes," you said, taking the book back. "I've been practicing on these broken sticks."

"Wow, that's amazing! Now when brother falls down the hill again, you'll be able to heal him." Al laughed. You smiled.

For as long as you could remember, work was the only thing your mother was concerned with. Of course, she still made time for you whenever she could, but she was extremely focused on her career. She was a doctor who specialized in medical alchemy and was called to heal the injured soldiers during the war, along with the Rockbells. As for your father, you hadn't heard anything about him since the day you were born. So, it was just you. You were staying with Winry and Granny until they got back, but you still liked spending time in your own house. After all, that was where all the alchemy books were. Ed and Al would come by every now and then, but you figured it was probably because of their increasing interest in alchemy.

As the months went on, you practiced more and more until you were able to heal small cuts and fractures. Of course, you could transmute basic things with the right materials, but your focus was on carrying on your mothers work in Resembool before she returned.

It wasn't until you turned ten, that you realized she wasn't coming back. A soldier had come to the Rockbell house with the news that Winry's parents had passed away in the war from an ambush. Winry immediately broke down in tears and raced up the stairs, slamming the door to her room. You were about to run after her when the soldier asked where the (L/N) residence was. Your eyes widened.

Your mother was nowhere to be found, and was presumed dead.

Then, it really was just you.

Shortly after, a sickness swept the country, and it took Ed and Al's mom.

The four of you grew very close within the next months and did anything you could to take your minds off the looming grief in the air. Winry spent a lot of her time learning how to make automail from Granny. Ed and Al still practiced their alchemy, but it seemed like you saw them less and less. You'd continued learning more and more about the different kinds of alchemy and all the benefits they offered. But there wasn't enough. You wanted to know more, to learn more, but you only had the books your mother left behind.

Then, out of the blue, Ed and Al came to your house more often. They said they wanted to learn about the medical benefits of alchemy and frequently asked you questions about it, which you thought was a little out of character. The two of them hadn't previously shown any interest in medical alchemy, so why now?

"Y/N." You looked up from your book at Edward, who was staring intensely into your eyes. "Have you done any research on... Human Transmutation?" He asked.

"Huh? Of course I have, but you know it's forbidden. Why are you asking?" You replied.

"I'm just curious... do you think it can be done?"

"I mean... I don't really see why not, but it's a little unethical, right?" You said.

He was quiet for a moment. You wondered what he could possibly be thinking. "Alright, it's getting late. We should head over to Winry's for dinner. C'mon." He finally said, shutting his book and standing up.