This same person was babysitting his adoptive little sister, Camellia.

She was a cute little girl with freckles that Giyuu genuinely believed deserved everything good that the world had to offer.

Taking a child on a demon killing mission was definitely not the best idea. But Giyuu didn't have a choice.

Literally just as the letter came, he just spared a boy with a demon-turned sister. That was why he left in a flash.

She wants to spend time with you. I'm going to be out for the day, and she can't be left alone. Please watch her for the day.

Giyuu was walking through a village he was sent to by his crow, all while being accompanied by his little sister.

The two certainly, despite being adoptive, seemed blood related. They looked it, for sure. The other Demon Slayer Pillars ― the top fighters of the corps ― had seen letters from her, through snooping at what she sent Giyuu, but hadn't ever seen her themselves.

Which was why, Shinobu Kocho, a fellow Pillar, was surprised to see Giyuu with a little girl that seemed to look like his little sister.

Her purple eyes gazed at the scene that the two interfered in.

A crowd of men around another girl, all of them hunters of the wild. They were arguing with the girl, for going out again when avenging should be left to them.

***

A small hand grabbed the long gun on the hunter girl's back.

"Ah.."

"... Hey."

At the pull of her gun, the hunter girl with long dark hair and a bandana, a dog leash in her other hand to a golden dog, shoved her elbow back to whoever dared to touch her weapon.

"Don't go grabbing my shirobire!"

"Wah-!" the response of surprise belonged to what sounded like a little girl.

A hand stopped her elbow. The hand belonged to a male with sharp navy blue eyes.

"Who..."

Next to his raised hand that blocked her, from below, was a little girl with startled, matching blue eyes. Hers weren't sharp, but more gentle around the edges. Her hand grasped the older male's haori, and as if to disappear into him, she stood closely to him with the fabric meshing around her and pressing in.

"So you're Yae," he introduced himself, "Giyuu Tomioka. Demon Hunters. Tell me about what happened when the demon attacked you."

"Demon..? No, they got attacked by a bear."

"Err, you mean the feral humans, Giyuu-nii..?"

".... Yes."

"What's this guy talking about?"

"Uh. Are you a policeman?" one of the male hunters asked him.

".... No."

"Eh?"

"I'm a Demon Hunter."

"Demon..? Are you a political official?"

"No. Our organization is nonpolitical."

The hunter girl, Yae, was clearly befuddled.

Despite his stoic face and his words trying to get straight to the point, the fact that no one ever heard of Demon Hunters made him seem unbelievable. And that a little girl was clinging to him, shaking like a newborn fawn.