On Trek to a New Dawn:

ابدأ من البداية

Ingrid shook her head, "To claim that the King and the Emperor are related... Could it be?" she said.

A look of realization fell over Dimitri, "Ah, I suppose I never told you, though I do recall mentioning it briefly to Byleth..." he said "Lord Arundel spoke the truth. My step- mother was Edelgard's birth mother" he added. "Political turmoil drove my step- mother out of the Empire. Father fell in love with her at first sight and they married" Dimitri said "I lost my birth mother before I was old enough to remember her. My step- mother filled that role for me" he said and paused for a moment "But she lost her life in Duscar nine years ago, along with Father".

Felix frowned, "Hang on. I didn't even know she was your step- mother" he said and paused for a moment, "Did my Father know about this?" he asked.

Dimitri nodded, "Yes. All those who were close to my Father knew, including Rodrigue" he responded "But to speak openly about it would have caused a scandal, and so she was our secret. No one in the general public knew about her" he said "Naturally the fact that Edelgard and I are step-siblings was kept a secret as well" he added.

"I'm finally beginning to understand what you went through five years ago" Mercedes said "I mean Edelgard is the only family you have left, isn't she?" she asked, "To find out someone so precious to you is actually your most hated enemy... How heartbreaking" she said softly.

"But wait! You two were born and raised in two different territories, right? So, you probably never met until you were both at the academy" Annette pipped in, "I mean don't get me wrong. I think the idea of fighting family is just about the worst thing ever" she said "But hopefully the fact that she's a stepsister who you never really knew helps with the pain... I don't know, it was just a thought" she sighed.

Dimitri shook his head, "I am afraid that is not the case. Though it was only for a short time, Edelgard once called Fhirdiad home" he said "It was a long time ago and she was a cherished friend of mine" he added.

Sylvain gasped, "Wait! I remember now! She was that girl, wasn't she? The one you gave a dagger to!" he shouted "Heh, so your little girlfriend was Edelgard" Sylvain laughed.

Dimitri groaned, "Sylvain. If you have any more foolish things to say, please hold them for later" he sighed.

Sylvain nodded, "I do have a few more up my sleeve, but they can wait. Go on, Your Highness. This is important for us to hear" he said.

"She may be a hated enemy now, but the Emperor is your old friend and your step- sister" Felix said and paused for a moment "Can you bring yourself to kill her?" he asked.

Dimitri nodded, "I will kill her... If I must" he said.

If I must?

"But if there is any chance that the world, she seeks to create could be a just one..." Dimitri began "Then I... I would love to see a future in which I may reach out my hand for her and have her reach back" he said and paused for a moment " That said, I have no intention of letting my personal feelings cloud my judgment. Too much is at stake" Dimitri said.

Everyone was silent for a moment, then Ashe spoke up "Your Highness... I think you should meet with the Emperor and at least try to talk to her" he suggested, "If there is any hope of ending this war without any bloodshed, we have to try. Besides, killing your own family... I'm sorry, but it's not right" he added.

Dimitri nodded, "I... I think so too. And you are right that we should at least try" he said.

Byleth turned around, she had heard enough. Since the beginning she had told Dimitri about finding an alternate way and now after everything his put them through he wants to finally listen to reason.