𝟬𝟮𝟬 a line without a hook

Start from the beginning

Nova then rolled over onto her side and stretched out her arm over to the other side of the bed in hopes of spotting the familiar blond lying next to her. But when she felt a chill rise up her spine, Nova was surprised to see the spot next to her on the bed was completely vacant, nothing more than creased sheets in the hollow place where JJ had previously slept the night before.

This caused for Nova to frown, a knot twisting around harshly in the pit of her stomach, the girl believing he had left her and gone off by himself all over again. The thought of JJ being alone somewhere in Outer Banks was enough to cause a sickly sense of dread to pulsate through her veins, her stomach churning over and over again. She knew that the last time JJ went off on his own, he showed up hours later drunk and covered in bruises. Nova hated to imagine what would happen this time if he had left abruptly some time during the night.

Nova quietly sighed to herself, her eyes beginning to adjust to the morning rays of sunlight as she recovered from her tired and groggy state. After she had readjusted to her surroundings, Nova let out a tired yawn and stretched out her arms and legs to unravel the knots tied within her joints, continuing to stare down at the blank space where JJ should've been. It made her feel uneasy.

Where the hell was JJ?

That was the question that continued to ring thought her mind like a broken record, her eyes scanning over the entire room to see if the familiar mop of golden blond hair, chiselled features, and sun kissed skin resembling the famous JJ Maybank would come into view. . . But he didn't — he never did, which made Nova only continue to question his whereabouts, her brows knitting together in pure confusion, a puzzled look glazed over her ocean coloured eyes.

Nova then swallowed the thick lump forming in the back of her throat, tearing her prying eyes away from the empty space beside her, before she climbed out of bed and walked through the chateau, heading towards the front door. Nova lifted her arm and raked her hand through her long blonde hair in the process, another yawn ripping through the air, wanting nothing more than to go back to sleep for a little longer.

Unfortunately, Nova Van Kirk wasn't able to afford that luxury as of now.

When Nova reached the screen door, she's quick to look outside and scan her eyes over the outside of the chateau with a wondrous look swirling in her bright eyes. She could see Juno, Kiara and Pope working on the winch they planned to use to dig up the gold. Kiara was sitting in the bucket whilst Juno and Pope analysed the contraption carefully, the pair making sure it worked. It was another reminder that Nova and her friends would secure four hundred million in gold by tonight.

They were going to be filthy rich in only a few hours.

All of a sudden, Nova was shocked when she spotted none other than JJ Maybank sitting out on the hot tub he had recently purchased, his feet dipped in the water whilst he watched Juno, Kiara and Pope do all the dirty work. Typical JJ, Nova thought to herself, the sight of the familiar boy being enough to make Nova's heart race once again, a grin breaking out across her pink lips.

God, she hated that JJ of all people made her feel like this.

Nova's smile remained plastered across her face whilst she pulled the door open and left the chateau, the girl being instantly welcomed by the sunlit yard in front of her, her skin soaking up every ounce of heat beaming down on her as a shaky, yet, relieved breath escaped past her lips. It was a short-lived moment of peace and clarity that Nova never really had the chance to relish in — something she wished she had more of since the summer began.