Chapter One

"Come on Phoenix! Kick his ass!" I hear my pal Sawyer screaming from the crowd, all huddled around me.

My fists were all bloodied and I could taste the life-supporting blood in my mouth as well, it was just everywhere. My opponent, John Semore, didn't look too good either; his fists were nearly broken and his hair looked like a family of birds lived in it. Semore was a decent fighter, but I was better and everyone including him knew it.

My strength was low, so low that I probably could only take a few more hits before my muscles give out and cause me to collapse. Luckily, I didn't have to move very much for John's next throw, a straight punch right for my head. The punch was rather slow, allowing me to duck out of the way rather quickly and elbow the poor boy right in the ribs and trip him onto the ground.

It took him a moment, but he finally managed to pull his heavy body off of the nearly blood soaked concrete. No mercy was shown, I wanted this fight to end and I wanted it to end now. Right as he got up, I delivered the final blow, a right hook to the side of his face and a knee right into his stomach, causing him to fall to the ground and not stand back up.

"Phoenix wins!" Sawyer yells, running over to me and picking me up off of the ground.

"Sawyer, put me down before I get in the circle with you." I threatened, feeling him crush my ribs.

"You couldn't hurt me if you tried, not in the shape your in anyways." He joked, referring to my nearly broken hands.

Sawyer set me down and handed my leather jacket and a lit cigarette to smoke, allowing me to feel much better with a large inhale. I tossed the jacket over my shoulder and took yet another puff of the bud, then the two of us left the large crowd of people behind.

"Shit dude, I don't know how you fight so well. You are one of the scrawniest kids in our group and yet you have beaten up everyone here." Sawyer said, swiping the smoke from my hand and taking a puff.

"It's the Sicilian in me, and the fact that I have to defend myself from my old man." I said, taking back the bud.

We made our way back to our typical hangout spot, the Beetlebug Diner. This place served the best milkshakes you have ever dreamt of, and I got them for free because I was pals with the owner, then again I was friends with everyone.

"Grease up your hair, you look like you just crawled out of the sewer with that mop." Sawyer complained, handing me his tin of Mecha Nick's Pomade.

I opened the tin and scraped some of the goo onto my fingertips, then handing the container back to him. I rub the product through my hair, grazing it up so it is spread evenly all throughout my hair. Sawyer the. Handed me a comb from his back pocket, I use it to slick back the sides of my hair but leave the top curly.

"You shed like my old dog." He complained, flicking the hair from his comb.

"One more word about my hair and I'll beatbox worse than my old-man on Monday." I threatened, punching him lightly on the shoulder.

We finally made it to the lively diner of Beetlebug, entering and looking around the bright establishment. All the booths and tables were taken, all except for a single booth with a single girl sitting on it siping on a chocolate milkshake.

"I gotta take a piss, find us a seat." Sawyer said, heading off towards the bathroom.

I walked my way across the diner and plopped myself down across from the girl. "You mind if my friend and I sit here with you?"

The girl instantly lit up and her face was full of life, making her even more beautiful than she already was. "No, not at all."

"Sweet, I'm Phoenix. You new here, I haven't seen you around before." I asked.