11. the bite - part one

Start from the beginning

Dustin crouched over the two of them, placing a hand on Steve's forehead. "He's burning up."

"You're burning up!" Steve retorted sassily.

"Are you sick? I'll make you feel better!" Jackie puckered her lips to kiss him, but he immediately put his arm on her shoulder and pushed her away.

"I have a girlfriend."

"I am your girlfriend."

"Oh. Even better. You're gorgeous..." he trailed off, his gaze unfocusing as he stared up at the ceiling. "I think I'm in love with you." Steve's eyes widened, and Jackie was taken aback, even in her drugged state. She blinked at him as his words sunk into her skull, and she slowly realized the meaning behind them. "Shit. Who said that? Not me! I didn't mean to oops. Too soon, not ready."

"His pupils are super dilated," Dustin informed.

"I knew it," Cynthia crossed her arms. "They're drugged."

"Boop!" Steve tapped the top of Dustin's nose, and Jackie laughed loudly, his previous statement quickly forgotten. Dustin sighed.

"Steve," Dustin started, patting the side of his cheek. "Are you drugged?"

"How many times, Dad? I don't do drugs. It's only marijuana."

"This isn't funny, okay? I need to know what they did to you!"

"I can tell you," Jackie slurred. "They stuck big needles into our necks! Like vampires! Oh my God," her eyes widened. "Does that mean we're vampires? That stupid bald ugly bastard! We should go back so I can give him a piece of my mind."

"So they stuck needles in you," Dustin repeated. "What the hell? Are you gonna die on us?"

Steve didn't answer, instead, he touched the top of Jackie's nose. "Boop!"

"We all die, my strange little child friend," Robin said, her hands twirling a pieces of her hair. "It's just a matter of when, and how."

"Morbid," Cynthia nodded. "I like it."

"I like—" Robin abruptly cut herself off. "Chicken! I like chicken! And mashed potatoes! It's basically Thanksgiving. I mean, it's only July but who's counting?"

Dustin shook his head in confusion, before turning his attention back to Steve. "They're gonna be looking for us up there, so I'm gonna need you to tell me where you parked your car. Cynthia's going to drive us away from here."

"Oh," Steve groaned. "Can we make a pit stop at the food court?"

"Yes!" Jackie nodded her head excitedly. "Smoothie!"

"I would kill for a hot dog on a stick," Robin agreed.

"Alright," Dustin said with the wave of his hand. "Food yes. You can have as much food as you want, but only if you tell me where your car is parked."

"Uh-oh."

"Uh-oh?" Dustin repeated, his voice lowering in concern. "What do you mean 'uh-oh?'"

"My car is off the board."

"What?"

"They took the keys!" Steve told him, turning his pockets inside out. "The Russians, they took my keys." Robin laughed loudly, and Dustin turned to Jackie who was eating her shirt.

"Jackie, what about you? Do you have your keys?"

"Naked pockets!" She yelled, her shirt falling from her mouth. "Nakey," she snorted. "Nakey pockets! They took mine too! I think that's incredibly rude! My car is the only way out of this piece of shit elevator. Dustin I want my smoothie!"