|5|

Gabriela

"Spell Amorous,"

I bite my lip as I listen to Tillie misspell the word, and Mr. Phillips groan while telling her it was wrong and to go sit down.

Spelling contests.

This was probably one of the most interesting, and dare I say, fun, aspects of Mr. Phillips class.

I absolutely adored it.

And I was quite good, if I do say so myself.

I listen attentively as Moodie misspells the word gorgeous. Leaving, Anne, Gilbert, and I standing in anticipation for our next word.

"Ostracize?"

I smile to myself as I listen to Gilbert correctly spell the difficult word, and proceed to clap a bit, giving him a proud smile. Usually the two of us would be the last standing in situations like these, but now it seems that Anne would be giving us both some competition.

"Supercilious,"

I hear Anne softly gasp beside me when hearing my word, she looks over to me almost pitifully, I smile and shake my head. Too easy.

"S-U-P-E-R-C-I-L-I-O-U-S," I smirk without missing a beat. Confidence was key. And seeing Mr. Phillips make a sour face at my success truly fuelled me.

Gilbert looks over at me and smiles proudly, nodding his head at my spelling.

"Haughty,"

Anne spelled her word quickly and efficiently, as she finishes, I notice Gilbert give her an impressed look. A look that clearly said 'Anne Shirley I am totally in love with you and your ability to spell'.

"Callous,"

Gilbert is able to spell his word with ease. And as he does, I notice Anne throw a glance of towards him the spoke just as clearly as his look.

I think for a moment while looking down, and smirk when realizing my plan.

"Rueful,"

I stop for a moment, was this really worth it?

"R-U-F-"

Both Gilbert and Anne look over to me quickly, almost in shock at my error. I smile smugly, and ignore their bewildered looks as Mr. Phillips tells me to sit down.

Gilbert gives me a questioning look as I am seated, and I just shrug and point my head towards his lover.

He shakes his head and looks away from me.

"Penitent,"

Anne pauses in the middle of the word, and I knit my eyebrows together, surely she wasn't going to lose now.

I cheer as she continues and spells the word correctly.

"Intentions,"

The two go on like this for a few more words, and I smile widely as I watch them clearly have a little moment between every word.

When Gilbert finally makes a mistake with the word 'engagement' I groan and shake my head but smile for Anne's victory. I congratulate the redhead as she sits down, and then stand up next my brother, who was too preoccupied watching the girl celebrate her win to sit down himself.