03. {the assembly}

Start from the beginning

"hey, guys?" dustin muttered, grabbing tilly's attention.

"what other choice do we have?" lucas ignored him.

"guys!" tilly yelled.

the noise of police and ambulance sirens were heard in front of them and they saw cars zooming past.

"will..." mike mumbled.

they ran over to the bikes and began following the bright lights coming from the cars. once they stopped, they were at the bottom of the quarry. tilly hopped off the back of lucas' bike and the five hid behind a fire truck.

they watched as two men in the cold water turn over a body and lift it onto a stretcher and tilly felt her heart drop.

"it's not will." mike denied, "it can't be."

teardrops welled up in tilly's eyes, "no. i don't believe it."

"it's will." lucas sighed, "it's really will."

"mike..." el put her hand on his shoulder for comfort.

he struck it away, "mike? mike what? you were supposed to help us find him alive. you said he was alive! why did you lie to us? what's wrong with you? what is wrong with you?"

"what the hell mike?" tilly grimaced at the way he was yelling at her.

"mike..." el repeated.

"what?" mike snapped, he waited for an answer before marching over to his bike.

a tear rolled down lucas' cheek, "mike, come on. don't do this, man. mike..."

"mike, where are you going?" dustin's voice trembled, "mike!"

"michael!" tilly yelled.

"mike!" dustin yelled as he rode off.

tilly watched as the two boys cried and slowly brought them into a hug, "i'm sorry." she whispered.

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

november 10th
hawkins middle school

the drive with daniel, tilly and slater was dead silent. daniel's radio, other cars and the draft were all that was heard. when daniel dropped them off, he could see the dreary in his daughter's eyes.

"see you guys." daniel called as he drove off.

"see ya." slater waved, but tilly stayed soundless. the duo walked into school and eyes were on them.

"here." slater pulled tilly close to him and put his arm over her shoulder, "you good?"

"yeah." she whispered.

"hey-" stacey started, but the two walked straight past their group.

"what the hell?" troy frowned.

"are you going to the assembly?" slater asked her.

"i have to." tilly nodded, "it would be rude if i didn't. can you-"

"i'll be there with you." slater reassured her.

"thanks slate, bye." tilly walked into her form room.

"see ya." slater whispered.

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

the whole school were gathered in the hall as the headteacher lectured them. tilly couldn't help but notice how will's best friends failed to make an appearance.