The cat calls had come right after they had passed by a safe distance and she'd placed the cigarette in her mouth. Michael slowed even more, his eyes now trained on her.

"Can I ask you something?" he'd stopped walking completely. She'd stopped too, facing him. "What do you get out of doing that?" he'd asked. She stopped when the flame was lit and she inhaled deeply, blowing out a large puff of smoke.

"Doing what?"

Michael had jutted his chin toward the lit cigarette, motioning cutely with an imaginary cigarette in his own hands. Lia shrugged.

"I feel like you have asked me this before...and like I said before, I just like it." She'd answered, looking out at the sparse grassy patches of ground beneath her feet that were gradually fading into flat sandy dust, forming the foundation of the park.

"Really?" Michael had asked her, pointing a long finger at her chest. "Is that honestly what you, Lia, feels inside of herself?" he'd asked, and she didn't honestly know why the answer had jammed in her throat. His question made her uncomfortable and instead of answering she'd turned away from him, taking the initiative to keep walking. Michael followed a short way after.

Finally, she was granted a reprieve from walking and rested her behind on a set of swings and pushed forward joyfully.

"Do you remember this place?" She asked. With ease, she'd overridden the curiosity that burned in his eyes with a new one.

"Of course, wasn't I the one who introduced you to this place?" Michael had said absently, trying to catch a white butterfly that was fluttering at his eye level. Lia had shaken her head, entranced by his actions. Somehow, he managed to get the butterfly to land gracefully upon his outstretched finger and assessed it mid-air.

He peered closely at it, watching it with acute fascination. "I think those boys like ya." He finally said.

Lia had wandered how he'd noticed they were still standing around in the distance with his back turned to them. She glanced over and caught them grinning in her direction, laughing to one another at jokes that were too quiet to grasp from where she was. She'd taken another breath in.

"Yeah well...a lot of boys like me." She'd said matter-of-factly. Michaels eyes had fluttered against the sun, batting almost as frantically as the butterflies wings as it made a quick escape out of his grasp once again.

He sat down on the second swing behind her, his face now serious as he gazed over at the boys still stood loitering there.

One of them placed a hand on his chest and stretched his free one out in her direction. "Eu amo você!" his screamed on the wind. His friend laughed loudly, pushing the boy in the orange shirt as his braces glistened in the sun at her. Her expression hadn't changed at all from it's unimpressed glare, she simply looked on, unphased by the attention.

"Look at them. Don't they look like some fools?" Michael chuckled under his breath as Lia took another draw of smoke. "Look at the one on the left. He's wearing an orange shirt with green pants. Who even wears that..." He looked on sinisterly poking fun at one of the kid that had professed his love to her, who looked about 15 or so.

It seemed however, their joy and curiosity were short lived and they continued walking off in the direction they'd come in. Lia had turned to Michael, not used to hearing him this way. He'd snapped out of it as soon as he caught her staring at him.

"So...where have you been girl, what have you been up to all these years?" Michael breathed. Lia shrugged.

"Nothing important." She said, her face serious.