CHAPTER SIX: Unbelievable

Start from the beginning

"You really expect us to believe that? Aliens, maybe? Tentacles from Planet X? Give me a break! This is either some dumb prank, or you're just so excited to be around actual people for once that you'll do anything to keep us here! You're a joke, Shinso!" I could feel every lash of spite in his words, and my own froze partway up my throat, sticking to my tongue like flies to honey. "Unlike you, and those two drunks, other people have lives they need to get back to."

Why can't I speak?! Why can't I move?! I feel like I'm gonna throw up...

Midoriya stepped in, trying to reason with him, explain that we were, in fact, telling the truth. Even Iguchi and Setsuno chimed in a few times.
"Listen, bag boy, we're heading out and actually doing something, whether you like it or not! That Kaminari kid probably just ran off home to smoke dope with his buddies, and you're just trying to cover for him! I'm over this, you're wasting my time!" Nishiya waved us off with a scoff and started back towards his group, shouting something about getting ready to go.

"Shinji! Get your ass back here! You can't go out there, you idiot..!" (Y/N) bolted after him, as did Midoriya, whilst the two cowards slunk off in the opposite direction. I, however, sunk to the floor, dragging my knees to my chest.

This can't be real...Denki is dead...There's something out there...We'll all die...I'm useless...I can't protect Eri, or (Y/N), or anyone...It's only a matter of time...

"Hey..."

I flinched when I felt a hand on my arm, and when I looked up, I was shocked to see the familiar (H/C) girl kneeling in front of me.
"A..aren't you gonna go see your brother off?" My voice broke like a China plate to concrete, which only added to my turmoil.

A look of concern washed over her face, and that was when I noticed she was looking a lot paler, and her eyes seemed a little red.
"Hitoshi, he left over an hour ago...You've been sitting here for ages, and I got worried..." She sighed, standing back up and offering me her hand, which I hesitantly accepted. "I saw Midoriya try to talk to you, but you ignored him...I'm glad we've got you back to earth now, though..."

Flipping my hand over, she placed something upon it. It was one of the cheap, wrapped T-shirts the store sold, along with the same generic brand of sweatpants.
"Y..you don't...believe us, do you..?" I wouldn't have blamed her. It was insane to even consider, but we had lived it. We had, but Kaminari hadn't.

"Why wouldn't I? Hitoshi, you're covered in blood, and there's no way that creepy guy's busted lip caused all of that..." She nervously motioned to my body, and I noticed her hands were shaking, but she quickly pulled them away again. "Eri's been asleep, so you should go change and get some rest, too. You look exhausted."

It hadn't purely been her looks that had sent me head over heels. She had always been soft and kind, a comfort, even if she didn't utter a word. Swallowing, I murmured a thank you, but didn't walk away, and neither did she.
"Are you okay..? If you really do believe us, then your brother..." She was putting up a brave front, that was obvious, but she still smiled. It helped.

"There's always hope, right?" She laughed in an odd pitch, rubbing the back of her neck as she tapped her thigh with her other hand. "Do...uh, do you mind if I stayed by you and Eri? You know...familiar faces..?" Even if I had wanted to, I couldn't say no. I never would have wanted to turn her down.

"I...uh, I insist...We never got the blankets, so...I guess I'll grab a few once I change." My voice had returned, but it was still quiet. Wrong. It was astounding that I could even function at all after what had happened.
"I can give you a hand, if you want?" (Y/N) offered, tilting her head to the side so her hair fell across her shoulder.

The blood...

"N..no...Thanks, but no...I don't want you to have to see the...mess..." I explained it as vaguely as possible, and I could see her tense up. There was no way she wasn't as terrified as the rest of us.
"If you're sure...Still...I'll wait out here, to help carry some. Four arms are better than two, after all..."

Her chuckle soothed me, even though it was forced. So much so that, without really thinking about it, I reached out and patted her on the head. The moment I realised, I froze up, but once the look of surprise had run it's course on her face, she smiled, this time genuinely, albeit small.

Coughing awkwardly, I retracted my hand, palm tingling from the contact as I turned away towards the door to the loading dock.
"Th..thanks...I'll be back in a sec, then..." I wanted to feel happy about getting close to her, but I couldn't allow myself to. Kaminari had died. There was nothing that could make that better, and I was positive the only reason she was sticking by me was because she didn't have anybody else.

Don't think about it...Just think about getting through the night and being rescued...

.
.
.
.
.
.
***Hello, hi, yes, I would like to be trapped in a grocery store sharing a blanket with Shinso pls.

Next Time: Reciprocation***