I huffed in annoyance. "Why?"

"They want to discuss something..." Cedric said and his eyes flicked to Keith briefly.

I stiffened. Oh shit, I'd forgotten about that. I whirled around but Keith wasn't looking at me. I suddenly realized that I didn't want to part with Keith. Maybe it was selfish of me but he had been in my life for such a long time, through all my sad and happy moments. Keith had always been there. I couldn't lose him. I just couldn't.

I bit down on my lip and Cedric and Vivi gave me sympathetic glances.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Caleb asked.

I grabbed his hand. "Yes please."

I could use the support. We quietly walked to Caleb's car. Keith sat at the wheel and Caleb and I sat in the back. My knee kept bouncing up and down and he put a hand on top of it to calm me down.

"I don't want him to go," I whispered.

Caleb nodded. "I've taken a liking to him too. He's part of us now."

"They won't make him go, right? He will be able to stay, right?" I gazed up at him with wide eyes. "Right?"

He looked unsure. "I don't know... will your father allow that?"

"He has to. I'll beg and plead, whatever it takes. I can't part with Keith."

"Yeah. I'm sure Mr. Everett will cave," Caleb said but he didn't sound convinced.

My house loomed in front of me and I swallowed nervously. I hated this house, I had only bad memories there. The car rolled to a stop but none of us moved. Finally Keith got out and opened my door. I glanced up at him but he was still resolutely avoiding my gaze. Clutching Caleb's hand tightly, I walked inside.

"Chloe!" Ciara, the maid, said enthusiastically. "Welcome back."

I forced a smile. "Thanks. Where's, uh..."

"Your parents are in the living room."

I nodded and walked towards the living room but stopped when Caleb gently removed his hand from my death grip.

"I don't want to intrude. I'll wait here for you," he said.

"Okay."

I took a deep breath and walked to the living room. I paused at the door and turned to Keith, who was studying the patterns on the door religiously.

"Keith," I said quietly.

Keith finally turned to me. His expression was carefully guarded but I knew him well enough to know what was behind the mask of nonchalance.

"I don't want you to go," I said.

He shrugged.

"Will you stay?" I asked.

"Whether I continue my service or not depends on Mr. Everett's commands."

I gulped. "Do you want to go?"

Keith looked away. "That does not matter."

"It does! It matters to me!"

"Chloe, is that you?" Mother called out and I sighed.

I took a deep breath before entering the living room.

"Yes, it's me. The one and only Chloe Victoria Everett."

Mother was sitting on the sofa and there was a glass of red wine on the table in front of her. Father was standing by the window and gazing outside, sipping his wine. How dramatic.