Chapter two

Ellie sat in the passenger side of the car, she was tired but didn't want Joel to know.

They'd been driving for days, familiar surroundings started to appear, they were so close to the base.

"You need more sleep Ellie" Joel told her, he wasn't one to talk, he hadn't slept for days.

"I'm fine Joel" she told him, looking over to him, he could see the bags under her eyes, her hair was falling out of its normal ponytail, which made Joel smile a little.

"Well then you better sleep tonight" Joel said, Ellie nodded and smiled a little.

The two continued to talk as Joel drove to the base, Ellie fixed her ponytail and laid her head against the window.

Eventually they arrived back to the base, being greeted by Maria and Tommy, who were relived to see the pair alive.

"How was everything?" Tommy asked his brother once Maria had preoccupied Ellie, knowing that Ellie wouldn't want to hear about it.

"They wanted her dead...I didn't let them" was all Joel said, Tommy nodded.

"How's she feeling?" Tommy asked, Joel shrugged.

"She thinks she's not special anymore...she's wrong...she's the most special kid in the world" Tommy smiled at his brothers fondness for the young, bright teen.

"Do you think any fireflies are going to try to find her?" Joel shook his head.

"I killed the ones at the base, they'll be too scared to try and take her" Joel said, looking over to Ellie who was returning with Maria.

"I'll set you two up with a place to stay, make sure she eats something" Tommy said, Joel nodded as he watched his brother leave, Maria followed behind.

Ellie walked over to him, she looked more tired than before, her ponytail was back to being a mess.

"Maria said we need to eat" Ellie informed him, Joel nodded and walked with her to find food.

They eventually found food, sitting at a table together with some hot food, which made them both happy.

Ellie was surprisingly talkative, and Joel surprisingly listened, a warm smile on his face as he listened to everything the young teen talked about the comic series she'd been so desperate for him to read.

After the warm meal Tommy set them up with a house, it was a nice place, able to fit the two of them with room to spare.

/////////////////////////////////
Alright so the Kollok characters are coming in soon

I'm actually enjoying writing Ellie and Joel, might write a separate fanfic for them at some point.