The Crusader

*Author's Note*

This is a pretty short story, that isn't going to be continued. I hope to make more, longer stories though! ~Konrad

In the village of Plymouth, in the days of shining knights, there once was a lowly peasant. He was not altogether happy about his place in life, and often doubted if he was really needed. He had grown alone, lived alone, and worked alone. He often preferred his solitude. The village women may have viewed him a handsome young man, but he was a socially awkward man.

 “I am altogether tired of my peasant life,” said George the Peasant (for our peasant was named after his late father, and his father’s father, and so on.) George had decided that he could do better if he joined the Holy Crusade against the Arab rulers of Jerusalem. “It would give me purpose and maybe treasure at the same time!”-thought George. This thought pleased him mightily, and so he began a journey to London.

 On this arduous journey, George ran into bandits aplenty. George ran into a bandit company that he decided to join, rather than go on a Holy Crusade. The Company he had joined was known as the “Black Hand”.  They were a bandit company that had some honor, if that is possible for a group of bandits. George was happy with their rules. “Never rob the poor, never harm women and children, and share the loot with your brothers”.  The life George was now leading was full of happiness for him. It gave him purpose, something he normally did not have.

 With his brothers, George became quite good at what he was doing. He could make himself dead silent and lay waiting in complete silence. This was extremely effective at robbing rich merchants. George and the company moved frequently, ensuring their survival. This was also effective in its own way. Merchants and nobles alike did not know which routes were infested with the Black Hand, ensuring that the bandits had a steady flow of income.

 George became so good at what he was doing; he was given the leadership of the bandit company. This pleased him mightily, as the leader received a larger share of the income. Although George never spent his extra money on extravagant things, he always gave to the poor when he could. This earned him the respect of peasants, merchants, and even some nobles.

 After some years, the English crown had discovered where the Black Hand’s main stronghold was. As the Black Hand had been amassing a monumental fortune at the higher class’s expense, an army regiment was sent in. George and two of his most loyal followers were able to escape unscathed, George, Henry, and Eissi the Frenchman, had all agreed to head to France. They did have a Frenchman, after all.

 They had a considerable amount of money, from some of the Black Hand stashes. With this money they could escape to London, and take a boat to France. They had gotten into London without a problem, but were arrested. They were in scraps, and the guards had seen the considerable size of money in their wallets. This raised suspicion, and the guards believed them to be thieves. If they only knew how close to the truth they were.

 George’s handsome face was the downfall of them all. He was recognized by the guard captain, as the captain had put up some wanted posters himself. George was sentenced to death, and his friends Henry and Eissi were given the options of life in prison or 10 years as a Crusader. They both joined the Crusades.

 On the day of his execution George felt no remorse. He had lived a good life, and was known as a “good” bandit. He had never strayed from his company’s rules, and was loved due to his kindness. He may die a bandit, but he had left plenty of gold for his unborn child. On the day of the Sabbath, George the Kind was hanged under the charge of treason.

 And with the ending of this tale; another begins.

 William, son of George, was raised as a monk. His mother had left him on the doorstep of a church, with his money and a note. The note stated that the money was to be used for the child and his raising. It said that the money could pay for his upkeep and that he should be raised as a monk.