Chapter 40: The Lighthouse

Start from the beginning

I took a deep breath to begin. "Some guy named Damon danced with me for a bit. We went outside and had a chat and the next thing I knew he threw himself at me and started kissing me —"

"He kissed you?" Chase asked. His hand slightly held onto me tighter.

I nodded my head before continuing. "Yes. I don't know why but he did."

Chase huffed angrily. "How dare he!"

"Let me finish." I cut him off quickly. "I tried to pull him off of me. He was so strong. I didn't know what was happening. I was confused. He wouldn't let me go and then he went on about me confessing to join the dark side. He threatened your life. He threatened Enoch's. Him saying that made my blood boil. I lost control of my senses and the next thing I knew I'm blasting him to oblivion. I. . . killed him. . . I don't know what happened or if that triggered something but it changed me. I wanted to hurt people. That thing inside me wanted more. The people — they were so afraid. . . Chase, I don't want to be like that. I hurt you. Oh, Enoch. . . I'm so incredibly sorry."

My tears flooded into his shirt where my tiny hands were clinging onto the ends of his top. Chase's hand wrapped around my wrist holding me still with the other cradling around my back, holding me dearly.

"I'm sorry," said Chase making me confused as I looked up at him with tears rolling down.

"What? Why are you apologizing?" I asked.

"I keep telling you it's going to be okay, yet you have no idea of anything." He said. What is he referring to? "I've heard stories when I was a kid. The poetry. . . The songs, the stories. . . Everything I've heard about the prophecy of the Looking Glass Lands. . . They were all about a kind princess who would one day bring light and love back to the wonders of Wonderland. Sure, it's as wacky as it gets, but nothing ever could give it what it truly needs. A change. You're going to change this place. You're our beacon of hope. You've made peace with the stinkin' Scariest King in all of Wonderland and you pulled that off better than the hat on the Hatter's heat.

"No one ever said it was an easy job. So many people called it the curse because they were afraid of you flipping out on us in the end. But I had faith. I really did believe you would do great things, Iz. And I still do. You're so cunning and bold. You stand up for what's right. Even when you're tempted, you stayed loyal to your beliefs and you're doing everything you can to be your best. But tonight. . . You were angry. Your anger knows it deserves to be treated well, and with kindness. It's just apart of you that loves you.

"Man, you really were secluded from everything weren't you? It's affected you but you never knew how to talk about it with anyone because the concept is so complex to a child growing up in it. No wonder you wanted to run away from home. . . You were hurt. You didn't feel the love that was supposed to be there for you. Your first love was your parents, but your dad wasn't there to see you grow up. And man, your mom. . . you didn't deserve to be treated like that.

"And now with these crazy powers just arising from nowhere. You had no idea you were apart of something greater than your own mind can comprehend. You're still struggling to understand it as it is. You have no idea who you are. No one expects you to have it all together in one day. You literally just recently got them and you're only trying to hide and conceal your identity. Something that's already apart of you and inside you. But because of the prophecy you were secluded from your own destiny.

"You had no idea. You don't even know who you really are yet. But that's okay. It'll come when it's time. You'll learn to realize what it is, and then maybe you'll embrace that part about you. And you'll truly know how to love yourself and feel that happiness. And even when you don't, that's okay. We'll wait together until that day comes."