✩the lucky compass - eight - Redfield✩

Começar do início

Suddenly, the door knob started rattling.
"You better not be in there!"

My breathing started getting heavier as the man tried to kick the door down. Pope and John B rushed to where we were. There was a gunshot at the door.

Once Kiara got most of the paint off together we pushed open the window.

We ran out to the chicken coop. I sat in between JJ and Kiara. John B was on the other side of Kie and Pope on the other side of JJ. John B was looking out of the coop and I positioned myself so I could see too.

They were loading things into their truck. Boxes and books. All of them coming from Big John's office.

"Do something Pope, shut him up!" JJ whisper shouted to Pope as the rooster continued to draw attention to us.

"What do you want me to do!" Pope whispered back.

"Pet it or or talk to it or something I don't know!" Kiara argued with the boys on the verge of tears.

The rooster wouldn't shut the fuck up and it caused one of the men to look at us. I quickly pushed myself back away from the opening and against the wall, bumping into JJ.

We are about to die because of this rooster I thought to myself.

"You do something." Pope responded.

I knew that the man was probably still looking at the coop.

JJ suddenly got up from next to me and grabbed the rooster, holding it to the ground. He held onto it's neck and it's noises were muffled slightly, until there was a snap and it fell silent.

Kiara let out a small sob. She had tears running down her face. I looked to JJ and he was just staring at his hands. I grabbed him and pulled him to me and hugged him. He let out a shaky breath into the crook of my neck and I held onto him tighter feeling a tear go down my cheek.

I was so scared. You know when people say "frozen with fear." It's true. In that moment I was frozen. My body went numb and I couldn't even think. I couldn't move. All I could do was keep my arms around JJ and try to stay calm.

"Ratter! The hell are you doing let's go." the other man called.

I held my breath as I held JJ and closed my eyes until I heard the truck drive off. We all let out a sigh of relief. I let go of JJ and we all got out of the coop.

"Let's go." John B said as he walked over to the van.

We all looked at eachother with confused looks. I met JJ's eyes. He looked scared and sad. I grabbed his hand and felt his tense body relax.

We followed John B to the van and got inside.

✩✩✩

"I mean it's obvious right?" John B stated. We were driving to who knows where now, following John B on his little adventure. I was in the back with Pope and JJ while Kie and John b were up front. Pope had the compass in his hands swaying it back and forth in front of his eyes.

"A family heirloom? What better place to hide a message he had to know it was gonna get back to me." he continued.

"Sure. I bet Big John knew that you would come across a wreck and steal scuba gear from Ward Cameron, go down, and get the compass. I'm sure he predicted that." I said sarcastically.

Kie shot me a look and I put my hands up in surrender. Pope and JJ sat in the back with me with smirks on their faces due to my comment. The three of us let out silent laughs.

"Yeah. It's possible." Kiara said to John B. I could tell by her voice that she didn't believe it.

"It could also be possible that your concocting wild theories to help-" Pope started.

"Pope." John B warned.

"You know, deal with your sad feels." Pope continued. Kiara glared at him and he quickly shut up.

"Bro you know how I process my sad feels. Dank nugs and the stickiest of ickies that's how I do it." JJ said shaking his head.

"Beer and weed." I added. "The savior's of my sanity."

"Look I'm not- I'm not concocting okay?" John B said annoyed with the three of us. "My dad's trying to give me a message."

"If it helps you believe John B." Kiara said her voice with pity.

"Look I-I don't need a therapy session okay? Look im not tripping out."

"It's okay to trip bro-" JJ started.

"My dad is missing. Okay? Missing. You don't know what it's like to have the person closest to you vanish. And have no idea what happened to them. Just wake up every morning wondering. Elliot know. It doesn't feel so great does it." John B questioned. Everyone turned their heads towards me.

I didn't really talk about my parents much. I hated them. They left me with my Aunt Darla. I dont care about what happened to them. John B's dad was an amazing father to John B. And he became almost like a father to me. But I didn't care about what happened to my parents. John B did.

I just shrugged and took another drink of my beer before everyone stopped staring.

I looked up and saw JJ was the only one still looking at me. His eyes were trying to read me. Trying to decide if I really didn't care. I just gave him a reassuring smile and he grabbed my hand and held onto it. I hated that he could always know how I was feeling.

"It's been almost a year." Kiara said trying to talk John B out of his delusions.

"Hey uh he could've been kidnapped. That's definitely a possibility." JJ said looking at me and Pope.

"Yeah he could be in uh Soviet sub being interrogated by the KGB somewhere." Pope added.

"Absolutely. Uh or Atlantis." I concluded.

"Guys." Kiara scolded. "Look what do you think the message is?"

"Redfield."

"No shit." I sass.

"Redfield lighthouse. My dad's favorite place."

word count: 1483