Chapter 39: To Ball or Not to Ball

Comenzar desde el principio

"Hey!" I said loudly. She didn't care.

She did her business washing my hair as I did the rest when she finally left me alone. I sank into the tub underwater to wash the conditioner out before getting out to wrap a warm towel around myself.

The old lady did my hair. She blown it with a hair dryer and styled it simply. It was simple and elegant. It was pretty. After completing with that, she left a dress on the bed in bedroom and left me alone completely. I did my makeup with a bit of a plain look. My eyes and lips were the only thing I touched up.

Getting up to my feet, my curiosity got the best of me to find the dress and see what it looked like. My toes hit the carpeted floor putting ease to my mind knowing I wouldn't slip. The bathroom was a pretty marble. The slightest bit of water on the floor and friction between it was dangerous.

The dress was gorgeous with a midnight blue matching my eyes. It was frilly and sparkly but it was way too pretty for me. Nonetheless, I put it on. Finding myself in front of the mirror, I gave myself a twirl as the frills of the dress rose and twirled with me like black rose petals.

I was ready

I was ready. Finding my shoes and putting them on quickly, I scampered toward the door. I had no idea of the time but it was definitely late. Scurrying down the steps, there was no sign of Chase anywhere. He might already be there ahead of me. Geez, just how late could I possibly be?

My feet stopped in front of the giant doors leading to the ballroom. Classical music was faintly heard on the other side. Hesitation was in my step, almost afraid to open the door. With a push, the doors opened loudly with a creak. Below from the grand staircase were many people and creatures I haven't seen. There was no sight of Chase or Enoch. However, there was the king sitting at his throne at the far end of the ballroom.

"Presenting your royal majesty from the Looking Glass Lands, I present princess Isabella White!" A booming voice came out from nowhere. A bright light shined on me making the dress sparkle like starlights. All eyes were on me. There wasn't a single movement in the crowd below except for the king raising his goblet to my honor. It was awkward and silent. I didn't like it.

I took a step lowering myself from the top of the stairwell. Reaching the floor of the ballroom, I found the king had made his way to me unbeknownst. He took a bow in front of me as I repaid the respect with a curtsy.

"Thank you for coming for my fine establishment of a ball." The king said. His mustache scuffed up as he grinned. "May I introduce you to a refreshing beverage?"

"Thank you, your majesty." I gave him a nod. He snapped his fingers and a waitress placed a plate in front of him with shiny glasses of a pale bubbly liquid. The king took the glass and handed it to me where I immediately sipped. It was sweet yet slightly bitter. It had a carbonated taste to it with a subtle fruit-like zesty flavor. There was a dry but flavorful taste. It was delicious.