Chapter 39: To Ball or Not to Ball

Start from the beginning

"What will you be doing?" Chase asked.

"I've got some things to do in preparations," said Enoch as he already was halfway to the door, "I'll see you later at the ball. Oh, Izzy! I almost forgot. I'll have you something and maybe for your little friend over here as well. I can only say you'll be matching. How exciting! Tata!"

And like that he was out the door leaving the two of us alone again. Getting to know him and being around him more made me realize who this guy was as a character. His looks did not match his personality at all. For looking like a demonic human hybrid he was more bubbly yet forward all the same. He's quite a character. I couldn't imagine seeing his scary side.

"So, two out of three?" Chase asked me bringing us back on track to what we were discussing earlier. He had a smirk playing at his lips thinking he had a possible chance.

I gasped at him. "Chase! You can't beat me. Don't waste your breath. But, I'll totally play you again. Just make it interesting this time."

Chase's mouth fell agape at my choice of words in awe. "Oh, so I'm boring you now?"

I chuckled at him, my eyes never leaving his gaze. His lips perked up in such a pretty way. Chase knew that my intention wasn't serious. His smile was contagious putting a grin to my lips. There was the slightest raise of his eyebrows that expressed his fond amusement with our conversation. Or, whatever you would call it.

"I wouldn't say boring per se." my lips wouldn't stop smiling. "However, you're far more entertaining than chess."

"But you love chess." Chase said confused. Dang it, you killed it. "How is that possible?"

I only shook my head. "Don't worry about it. I'm going to make dinner before getting ready. Or should I skip?"

"Well, he did say there will be food." Chase said.

I made a gross face at him. "Don't forget he said it was worse than unpleasant."

"Oh yeah, that." Chase said before thinking. He shrugged. "I don't know. I may go get Enoch to cook me something again tonight."

"He cooks for you?" I asked.

"Sometimes," Chase shrugged once again not really thinking much about it. "So, will we have another match? I may not be the best, but at least I know you still enjoy playing with me."

"Well, duh!" I said carelessly. "You're my best competitor. It's always fun and you're a great sport about it. If I didn't think so I wouldn't be here."

"That's true." Chase nodded before setting the next game up.

A couple hours had passed after we finished several matches. Of course like always, he was beaten. I can't help it. I never back down on chess. Winning every single one, we were beginning to tire out. We had to stop.

"What time is it?" I asked Chase as a yawn escaped my lips. Chase looked over at the clock.

"It's past 8."

It didn't dawn on me until a couple seconds later. Oh crap. We fricken forgot.

"Chase?" I said where he let out a soft hum in response. "It's two hours til the ball." He finally realized it too.

"Oh crap!" We both said in sync. We left the library, scurrying into the hallways and up the stairs to our bedrooms to get ready.

Out of breath, my body was already being pushed to the washroom. The old lady, who's name I don't remember, was beckoning me quickly. She practically stripped me out of the borrowed clothing and shoved me into the tub.