Chapter 2

I woke up to Santiago tapping me on the shoulder and faintly calling my name. My eyelids lazily opened and I felt slightly dazed to my surroundings. The cloudiness to my vision didn’t help and neither did the sleep that stuck to my inner eye. Once I was fully aware of the fact that I was home, I shot up wide awake without thinking. My head smacked onto the top of the car and an electric shot of pain escalated through me. The feeling of a bruise appearing put me in a grim mood. “Bad idea,” I huffed in annoyance. I rubbed my head to sooth the pain and carefully slid out the car. I pushed the car door and with one last rub to my stinging scalp, and lookover of myself in the reflection, the car emitted, I turned around.

I stood balanced on my two feet facing home.

Looking at it just reminds me of how much I missed it. Even though I felt something was missing I didn’t dwell on it.

The tall house stood still. Fresh plants sat at the front swaying gracefully in sync with the wind. The rectangular door called me. Surprisingly, nothing had changed and everything seemed to be the same. It had the same antique look to it, almost old and full of history.

A feeling of unease entered me as I became a little nervous. Santiago had joined me by my side and looked up at the house, “Ready?” he asked. I breathed out one final time and turned my head to see he had already fetched my bags so I nodded hesitantly. He slowly lead the way to the awaiting door, as I got closer I watched as it leisurely creaked open and the smell of pine attacked my senses. I smiled at the familiar scent and took a big waft of it in.

 I looked down to see the chunk of wood which separated the house from the outdoors. I squeezed my eyes shut to calm the rising nerves. A habit I watched my father secretly preform. “Come on Kami, you can do it,” I whispered to myself. Wiping my sweaty hands on my best pair of jeans and on the count of three, I entered. My shoes stood on the shiny laminated floor which disappeared further on into the house. The unnatural quietness engulfed my surroundings. Where was everyone?

It was normally filled with joyous sounds of laughter and smiling faces of the pack. I knew lots had probably changed since I left but…..I guess I wanted to come back to the big family I always remembered. I mean I knew this was our house and the pack didn’t live here because, they lived in separate houses around our one. However, I remember how everyone used to come here like this was their home and the other houses were just a place to lay their head at night.

 I broke out of my daydreamed state at the sound of Santiago gently dropping my bags. “Welcome home.” His hand motioned for me to walk ahead. My feet steadily took me forwards. The living room was up ahead so I thought I’d enter the room first. I reached the wooden door and pushed it open, the loud creak breaking the silence. Taking another deep breath in, I stepped in.

“SURPRISE!”

The volume in the house turned up and I felt my heart jolt slightly at the sudden surprise. I couldn’t help but scan the room. A huge amount of people stood in front of me greeting me with their warm smiles. I recognised them as my pack; my family.  Decorations hung everywhere and welcome home banners stuck to the walls. Junk food cluttered the tables. I smiled wide showing my teeth, the effort of the massive room decorated from top to bottom was immaculate. The overwhelming feeling consumed me whole. I felt my eyes glaze over but I blinked them back.

Both my eyes eagerly scanned the crowd looking for Haylie. I couldn’t seem to find her until I met a pair of blue eyes, and next thing I knew they flung themselves at me.

My feet slightly stumbled but luckily I regained my balance and squeezed my mother tight not wanting to let go. We stood embracing each other for what felt like forever. I enjoyed the motherly warmth she radiated. The smell of strawberries entered my nose making me sigh. She released my body and looked at me.